Clearing Bumps

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
versabbo
Car: Versa SL CVT

Has anyone else notice the versa has hard time clearing tall bumps? I felt twice when something in the rear got hit. I wasnt goin really fast. It felt pretty harsh and solid, im not sure what was hit.

indus49
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S, Magnetic Gray with Beige/Black Interior, Power Package.

I haven't noticed any problems so far, perhaps you kicked up a rock or something? I'd take a peek at the place you heard the hit, just to make sure. Do you think you bottomed out?

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

I noticed the same thing on speed bumps. I hit one at about 5mph, and it sounded like the rear shocks bottomed out on the stops. Not good. It seems that we have very little suspension travel in the rear or maybe the rear shocks are too soft?

landonb16

yeah, i have the same problem coming out of my apartment complex. I have to crawl over it to keep it from bottoming out.

Kermee

+1

I found that I can clear them pretty easily on the front set but the rears I have to go VERY slow.

Cheers,Kermee

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

My work has a couple dips and hills that are rather steep/quick, and even if I was careful with my old sedan, I'd scrape either the front bumper lip or my muffler/exhaust tip.

I haven't had to be cautious with the Versa, and I have yet to scrape it.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Considering that we are getting mixed opinions on this issue, I wonder if there is a potential problem with the rear shocks on some of our Versas? Maybe we need to run some additional tests and look for a pattern, in case we need to take it up with our dealers.

Fen911
Car: 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L/NAV

I live in NY (many pot holes and road bumps) and Ive noticed that my car sounds like the front axel is going to fall off when it falls in to a small pothole and the rear also hits the bumps very hard. I dont know if it bottoms out but it sure sounds like it does. Suspention on my Versa realy sucks...

toby

I have speed bumps outside my apartment complex too, and have the same issue. However, having once owned a Geo Metro, I knew this would be an issue with the Versa before I ever even got it. Thus, this weekend I'm having new shocks put on, to alleviate this problem. I'd advise you all to look into doing the same.

versabbo
Car: Versa SL CVT

thats weird, why is it bottom out? The car is pretty tall and there is huge gap between the wheel well and the tire.

I was thinking of lowering car just because of the huge gap. Now if it is bottom out then is it because the spring too short? shock too hard?

If i tell the dealer will they fix it or just make excuses?

rwanttaja

versabbo wrote:thats weird, why is it bottom out? The car is pretty tall and there is huge gap between the wheel well and the tire.
That's not the critical dimension... it's the suspension travel.

I've noticed the same effect, but am not surprised by it due to the light weight of the car and the small wheel diameter. FWIW, the feeling *I* get is not that the suspension is bottoming out; rather, that the axle is banging against the LOWER limit as the springs recoil.

I suspect the Versa's weight distribution with just the driver onboard is heavily biased towards the front, and the light back end gets flung around more easily.

Keep in mind that the suspension is probably designed for a *maximum* weight situation. Put three friends in your Versa, and it might take those speed bumps easier.

Then again, you might end up with dents on the inside of the roof. :-)

Ron

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

I noticed that issue today. I checked out the rear & found nothing. Open where the spare tire is located & the lack was loose.

I went over the same speed bump a few times with & without the jack in the compartment and determined it was the jack making the noise.

Return to “Versa General Chat”