Clear coat scratches / swirl marks

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
smash209
Car: 2007 Sentra 2.0S

Any opinions of Meguiars scratch-x vs swirl-x? I want to remove some of these clearcoat scratches that are not bad enough to catch a fingernail... but look awful.

Also I was checking out the detailing article here:http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=183170

What's your opinion of waxing with Meguiars nxt and then polishing with Meguiars step 2 and then step 3 carnuba wax? Is the nxt more like a synthetic sealant than a wax? Seems counterproductive to wax then polish and then wax (after all the cleaning/clay bar prep is done of course).

tdekany

I doubt you can do it by hand. Find a professional in your area to do the work.

And no you don't use both systems. NXT will last a bit longer.

smash209

I've heard good things about a little more aggressive product, Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I'm sure it will thin the clear coat a little bit, but it should take out the scratches and swirls and then I'll polish and keep a good coat of wax on it at all times. The PO really abused the paint!

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

That article doesn't seem to be well written. It seems that they are using the polish for its 'glazing' or sheen effect rather than for actual polishing. Applying and immediately wiping off a hand polish literally does nothing. Don't you have to work those a bit?

Also I doubt that there's really any reason to layer the carnauba over the NXT 2.0. I doubt that it improves the appearance very much and anyone buying expensive carnauba's probably have a wax that's better than NXT anyway.

smash209

Well I do know that the Megs #2 polish is a pure polish and so doesn't have any cut to it. Therefore maybe is is being used more like a glaze, but I would think a glaze would work better.

Any opinions on Scratch-X, Swirl-X, or the Ultimate Compound? I'm thinking of getting a DA so I wouldn't have to work so hard to take out the swirls by hand.

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

I just looked it up and Meguiar's site does say that deep crystal is also a pure polish, so that negates what I said earlier.

I don't have personal experience with those products. I've never tried because most reviews said they work fine but there are better valued options available.

Return to “Detailing Forum”