Clear bra - frontal paint protection

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
RingSteel

What's the reviews of the clear "bra" paint protection film that can be applied to the front bumper, front of hood and fenders, and mirrors... to protect from rock chips, bugs, etc?

Who has it, and do you think it is worthwile?

Rfong

I have clear bras on two of my other cars and can vouch for their effectiveness. The bras are almost invisible except for a shadow seam on the hood. Rock chips are greatly reduced and cleaning bug spats is made easier.

My first application was a professional job costing $800. My second car had a $49 precut kit which I applied myself (after watching the first job). There is no visual or quality differences or between the two jobs. It does take meticulous and careful work.

However, I have not seen any kits made for the EX35, maybe in the future.

rubbersidedown
Car: Infiniti EX35. Black & Chestnut. All options but Tech Pkg. RWD.

My dealer applies the clear bra to the hood on all of its vehicles as a matter of course. I can tell it has helped - especially with insects. The paint has been questioned by some as having a tendency to chip easier than most. That I don't know, but you cannot really see the clear bra, so the protection seems worth it. I have ordered the front bumper pre-cut piece to install, as that area takes much more abuse. As a test, I installed one on the rear deck of the rear bumper to protect as I load/unload. After watching the installation videos, it was a medium-level effort to install - mostly due to the anxiety of wanting to get it right. (Of course, at this point my bemused wife wondered why the entire car isn't coated with the plastic). Google clear bra for sources.

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

Rfong wrote:I have clear bras on two of my other cars and can vouch for their effectiveness. The bras are almost invisible except for a shadow seam on the hood. Rock chips are greatly reduced and cleaning bug spats is made easier.

My first application was a professional job costing $800. My second car had a $49 precut kit which I applied myself (after watching the first job). There is no visual or quality differences or between the two jobs. It does take meticulous and careful work.

However, I have not seen any kits made for the EX35, maybe in the future.
$800 for a clear bra??? You could respray the front bumper twice for that price. Although the new magic self healing paint may cost more to repaint. Anyone have paint work done on their EX? hey i just thought of a new thread.

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

Wow, $800 for clearbra? I hope they went all the way up the hood. We had it done for $600 and that includes the whole bumper, a quarter way up the hood, and the side mirrors.

For $800 we had clearbra and tint all around applied.

Time to find a new installer.

Fishman1421
Car: Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey - Black Obsidian w/ Graphite Leather/ Black Lacquer with Aluminum

Rfong wrote:However, I have not seen any kits made for the EX35, maybe in the future.
http://www.invisiblemask.com/c...=EX35

Follow the above link they have the clear scotchguard paint protection bra for the EX. If you want you can pretty much cover the whole car. They also offer a warranty on the bra, which is nice. I recommend having it professionally put on, generally by a place that does window tinting as it is a similar process. But just in case you don't, if you mess up a piece while applying, they will give you the same piece for free or for a discounted price, also nice. I just ordered mine and am having it professionally put on.

inteller

keep in mind it isn't the material that costs....it is the labor. A tint place that can also provide the material will be about the same cost as buying the material and having them install it. A lot of tint places will warranty the material they install, but make no guarantees when the customer brings the parts.

Fishman1421
Car: Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey - Black Obsidian w/ Graphite Leather/ Black Lacquer with Aluminum

The manufacturer of the scotchguard paint protector offers a warranty itself..either 5 years or lifetime depending on which one you choose (both are the same price)...i was just saying that the process of putting on the scotchguard paint protector is similar to putting a tint on a window, hence bringing the paint protector to a place that tints windows, they most likely could put it on for you at an agreed upon price...

RingSteel

I went ahead and got the full frontal package installed. That covers the full bumper, front of hood and fenders, and mirrors. Package was $495 in Houston.

So far it seems great. Time and rock chips will tell how it holds up in the long run.

rubbersidedown
Car: Infiniti EX35. Black & Chestnut. All options but Tech Pkg. RWD.

I suppose one purpose of the forum is for each of us to share with others when things don't work out so well. I tried to install the front bumper clear bra. It was a disaster. I consider myself fairly handy, but trying to line up all of the unique curves and lines of the bumper piece - and remove bubbles - was too challenging for me. (I've always been better at removing bras anyway.)

So, $500 for total installation seems like a pretty good deal. Meanwhile, anyone want a large, clear, crumpled, sticky ball of tape?

inteller

yep, once you try and fail, you realize letting a pro do it and pay for their time is the best option.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

rubbersidedown wrote:... (I've always been better at removing bras anyway.)

Meanwhile, anyone want a large, clear, crumpled, sticky ball of tape?
Priceless!!!!

(I've been out-of-town quite a bit since the last week of June and so am now wandering through catching up. Most threads have been rather dull ... until now - Thanks for that!!)

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”