cleaned rocker and now car wont run right! Help!

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Brandon_itsaz
Car: Computers, Cars, Car Audio

I had very very noisy rockers from 3k on so i decided i would pop them out and soak them in ATF (which removed a lot of deposits) I made sure the timing chain was set back on correctly and all the rockers were in their original positions. I fire it up and it idles like crap and sounds like a top fuel dragster at the back of the car (has a ton of raspy exhaust pressure) and when you rev the car it bogs/lags and you can hear the whole motor resonate through the air filter. The timing is right on so thats not the problem. Any other ideas??

bruinbear714

how do you know the timing is correct? And why did you have to reset the timing? You need to give a little more details as to what you took apart.... cam, distributor, oil pump, etc etc.

From what your describing, it sounds to me like a timing problem. Make sure the mark on the crank pulley is aligned with the needle and that the rectangular notch on the cam sprocket is parallel with the head. If everything is correct, the two silver chain links should also line up with the dots on the sprockets.

As for distributor timing, it needs to point at about 5 oclock if it is set correctly. To make sure its correct you need to pull out the oil pump and line up the the marks (one on the pump, one on the shaft) and re-install it.

Or if you have a timing gun, you can do a quick check to see if the timing is correct before ripping apart the engine again.

Brandon_itsaz

I checked it with my timing gun. The timing is fine. Do you think it has something to do with the lifters that are on the rockers? Thanks again

bruinbear714

if your timing is correct then the only other thing I can think of is that the rocker bars aren't tightened down correctly, or the rockers itself doesn't have any hydraulic pressure in them... try pulling off the valve cover again and see if there is any free play in any of the rockers. Give your crank a 180 degree turn and see again. There shouldn't be any freeplay in the rockers. If there is, then they are either 1) bad or 2) not enough oil pressure or 3) something clogged the oil passages, which deprives the rockers of the oil it needs to build up that hydraulic pressure.

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

should the "rectangular notch" (i assume its the keyway on the cam sprocket) be parallel on the DRIVERS or PASSENGERS side of the head?

sil80

bruinbear714

By parallel, I mean parallel with respect to the surface of the head (ie, horizontal). I know the notch is only like 1/4 of an inch in width, but its enough to let you line up the cam so that the shiney link on the timing chain will fit over the dots on the sprockets.

Brandon_itsaz

The notch goes parallel to the driver side if your facing the front of the car... the cam pin should be at 12:00 in conjunction with the head surface... the timing is fine i think what happened is the lifters on the rockers were "pumped up" creating a "solid" lifter and crashed a couple of the valves in the pistons. So when lifters finally adjusted to proper hieght the damage was done and here i am with a screwed up head! Lesson: dont soak rockers/lifters in fluid before installing. Anyone wanna buy my car?? $1300

sil80drifter

ok see, how the notch right now is on the left side? should it be twisted a little counter-clockwise to be parallel to the head on the passengers side, or clockwise, so that it's paralle to the head on the drivers side?

sil80

bruinbear714

What the hell are you guys talking about driver's side or passenger side?

That RECTANGULAR notch you see near the center has to be PARALLEL with the SURFACE of the head, so according to that picture, you would have to rotate the cam 90 degrees clockwise. In other words, that notch has to point to roughly 12 oclock. Make sure the #1 piston is also at TDC

edit: and depending on how bad you botched this up, you might get away with very minimal engine damage, or you could end up with bent valves and damaged rings/ring lands.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Im curious why he removed the cam sprocket to get the rocker shafts off at all.

There is a dot on the outer edge of the cam sprocket that should line up with a silver chain link once every other revolution. When the silver link and dot are lined up at the 3 o'clock position, the cam key should face straight up and all the valves on the #1 cylinder should be closed (easy to see with the rocker cover off). This is TDC on the compression stroke.

And the only way your valves could collide with your pistons is if you put the cam sprocket on wrong and messed the cam timing up. If all you did was remove the rocker arms and soak them in ATF then reinstall them without removing your cam sprocket or camshaft, then they probably were dry and needing to be soaked in clean engine oil for about 10 minutes before reinstall. Regardless, the oil pressure created by a running engine would bring them back in a short time. With no oil in the rocker arm, it would collapse and the valve would open 'less', so no, your pistons would not hit your cylinders.

Brandon_itsaz

ok i just took apart the necessary items to verify the timing chain is on correctly and it is... the rockers and everything else is on correctly, I have been doing auto mechanics for many years and built many motors for my Trans Am's. The only other thing I could think of is maybe the egr is sticking?? I think I might just rip this ka24e out of here and buy a sr20det conversion.. Thanks for you help guys!

sil80drifter

Ok, NOW I understand what you meant by parallel. It was confusing before, sorry for makign it more so. So when the nothc is pointing UP at 12 o'clock, the engine is at TDC, OR 180 degrees off of TDC, right? Also, I believe the KA is a non interference 4engine, so nothing can really hit anything it just won't start if you mess up. (Like mine won't start...*sigh*)

sil80

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”