Classic/Antique car importing

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
kilfer

Hi All,

I've been lurking this forum on and off this past year, ever since I heard that it might be possible to get a skyline in the states.
What caught my attention is the "antique" label that 25+ year old cars get
It seems that there are a lot of opinions regarding what will occur after the R32 reaches it's 25th birthday. I've read opinions from both side of the spectrum about what this rule means for the skyline, but I haven't really found a definite or conclusive answer yet.
So I'm wondering if anyone can give me a conclusive answer as to what this rule entails and what will be required to get a R32 legally into California in a few years.

Thanks

edit:
The part that confuses me is the "DOT exempt" and what not. It might be exempt, but would it be subject to other regulations?

Valkyrie

DOT and EPA exempt means you will be able to import it, whether or not it will pass California emissions is another story. I haven't done the research since CARB doesn't apply to me.

For the record, everything emissions related (everything...meaning no performance mods and no engine or transmission swaps, etc) has to be stock to be able to be 21-year EPA exempt, at least when you bring the car in.

kilfer

Gotcha, thanks!

tyndago

California has its own rules on vehicle registration.

California Smog Check FAQ - http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -faqs.html

Federally speaking, over 25 years old is NHTSA/DOT exempt. Over 21 years old is EPA exempt. To REGISTER the car in California you need to smog it. To smog it in California, they will send you to a referee. The referee will send you to a test lab. The test lab will need to FTP the car. Each FTP is going to cost you ~$1500 to run, pass or fail. That is without any mods, or anything done to make it meet California standards. All up expect a bill in the $5k-$7k range. Its not impossible, but it is expensive. I did FTP testing on the Nissan Skyline GT-R's when I was at MotoRex. We did California certifcation. The RB does not have EGR. It does not have an air pump. Its made to make power, not pass emissions. If it were just as simple as a smog test, there would not be a problem with a good running car, and a good OEM cat. However, FTP tests everything that comes out the tailpipe from cold start though an 11 mile drive cycle, hot soak, and another 11 mile drive cycle. With no EGR you lean it out to get rid of hydrocarbons, and blow though the NOx.

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ation.html

BLKTOPS14SR
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE Kouki
1971 Buick Skylark 455Buick big block
1970 Cutlass Holiday Coupe
2002 Ford F-150 XLT
1972 Chevy Cheyenne

Sean (Tyndago) will we still have to use a RI to import a 25 year old car? Or can anyone import one? Thanks

lasombra49

BLKTOPS14SR wrote:Sean (Tyndago) will we still have to use a RI to import a 25 year old car? Or can anyone import one? Thanks
Once it's EPA and DOT exempt, as far as I'm concerned anyone can import one if they do it the right way (No need for an RI), BUT, If you want (Highly recomendable), you can talk with Sean, as he can import a car for you safely and securely. Here's his Website: (http://www.internationalvehicleimporter ... 245209.htm). Although I don't know him personally, he seems like a really nice guy who definitely KNOWS what he is doing, and is willing to help anyone that needs a hand on the subject.

tyndago

BLKTOPS14SR wrote:Sean (Tyndago) will we still have to use a RI to import a 25 year old car? Or can anyone import one? Thanks
No. You just need a customs broker. Although you don't "need" a customs broker, I highly suggest one in most circumstances. Just make sure you do it all correctly. Most brokers, customs agents, you name it aren't that familiar with vehicle imports. So if anything is done incorrectly its "YOUR" problem, not their problem.

You need an HS-7 and a 3520-1, pay the tariff and other associated fees.

No one cares that it is a "Skyline". Its just a car. It will be a car that is over 25 years old, and exempt from NHTSA requirements.

BLKTOPS14SR
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE Kouki
1971 Buick Skylark 455Buick big block
1970 Cutlass Holiday Coupe
2002 Ford F-150 XLT
1972 Chevy Cheyenne

Awesome thanks for the info Sean. I knew about the forms and fees. Thanks again.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”