Citizenship tests ...

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

... are tougher for immigrants than people who were born here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25461301/.

I remember mine from about 25 years ago were similar ...

Maybe we need to administer these tests to high school grads here in the US before we graduate them!

Z

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

19 of 20 means I keep my citizenship. (I edited out the answers from the test I pasted below)

1. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? Correct

2. When was the Constitution written? Correct

3. What are the first words of the Constitution? Correct

4. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? Correct

5. Which of the following is NOT a right outlined in the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence? Correct 6. Which one of these is a right guaranteed by the First Amendment? Correct 7. How many amendments does the Constitution have? Correct

8. Why does the United States flag have 13 stripes? Correct 9. Which of these was NOT among the original states? Correct

10. What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803? Correct

11. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. Which of the following is NOT a federal power? Correct

12. Which of the following is NOT one of the three branches of the government? Correct

13. The House of Representatives has how many voting members? Correct

14. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years? Correct

15. In what month do we vote for President? Correct 16. If both the President and Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? Correct

17. Who was president during World War I? Correct

18. How many justices are there on the U.S. Supreme Court? Correct

19. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States? XXXXXXX is not correct.

20. What did Susan B. Anthony do? Correct

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The questions asked seem more history oriented than US political ideology oriented. I'd be more concerned with people understanding what the US stands for than if they knew who wrote the constitution. This is just as bad as our written driver's license tests...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

C-Kwik wrote:The questions asked seem more history oriented than US political ideology oriented. I'd be more concerned with people understanding what the US stands for than if they knew who wrote the constitution. This is just as bad as our written driver's license tests...
Amen.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I got 65% in a quickie run-through.

Suffice it to say, I'm a bit embarassed.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

I got the same one wrong (number 19). But then, I studied all this stuff - thoroughly - back when I became a citizen 25 years ago. But right now, I just could not remember who is the new Chief Justice ...

I had fun during my Citizenship verbal test. The Immigration Officer asked me two softball questions and then gave me a toughie: "What does it take to override a Presidential veto?" I answered it correctly and waited for the next question.

The guy began writing on a piece of paper that I could not see. So, I waited for a bit and then asked him if he had more questions. He started laughing and said that since I answered that tough question correctly, he was not going to bother wasting his time and mine asking me the total of 20 that I was supposed to do!

Z

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

If I get that one wrong, not only should I be embarrassed but also have my Indiana citizenship revoked. The guy is from Indiana.

90%

I missed3. What are the first words of the Constitution?14. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?

Not bad for just waking up.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

C-Kwik wrote:The questions asked seem more history oriented than US political ideology oriented. I'd be more concerned with people understanding what the US stands for than if they knew who wrote the constitution...
Well history remains the same and is easily testable. What we stand for is dynamic depending on the government's agenda and the president and his priorities, thus a new test would have to be made every few years. Should we ask them why we are in Iraq instead of Afganistan? Why the dollar is dropping? Or why the world trade center fell with such demolition-like precision?

Unless you were wanting something along the lines of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

CRAP! I got 95% and the one I missed was STUPID.

I got everything right but the number of Constitutional Amendments. I had originally chosen the right answer and then changed it as a hasty last minute thing.

Here are my results:

. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? Correct 2. When was the Constitution written? Correct 3. What are the first words of the Constitution? Correct 4. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? Correct 5. Which of the following is NOT a right outlined in the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence? Correct 6. Which one of these is a right guaranteed by the First Amendment? Correct 7. How many amendments does the Constitution have? XX is not correct. 8. Why does the United States flag have 13 stripes? Correct 9. Which of these was NOT among the original states? Correct 10. What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803? Correct 11. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. Which of the following is NOT a federal power? Correct 12. Which of the following is NOT one of the three branches of the government? Correct 13. The House of Representatives has how many voting members? Correct 14. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years? Correct 15. In what month do we vote for President? Correct 16. If both the President and Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? Correct 17. Who was president during World War I? Correct 18. How many justices are there on the U.S. Supreme Court? Correct 19. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States? Correct 20. What did Susan B. Anthony do? Correct

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Hash,Removed the answers in your post.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Looneybomber wrote:Well history remains the same and is easily testable. What we stand for is dynamic depending on the government's agenda and the president and his priorities, thus a new test would have to be made every few years. Should we ask them why we are in Iraq instead of Afganistan? Why the dollar is dropping? Or why the world trade center fell with such demolition-like precision?

Unless you were wanting something along the lines of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Not talking about current events or policies. That's as bad as testing for inane facts about the history of the US. I'm talking about the kind of info that might be useful to a new citizen. Like understanding how our political system works. What responsibilities they will have as citizens. What responsibilities our government has.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

85%, I don't have to sneak over the border. It would seem advantageous to do just that though.

Return to “Politics Etc.”