Circlip on M37X Right front axle?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Staminack
Car: 2012 M-37X

Accelerating hard on right turn from full stop is not a good idea . Busted the circlip to the wheel side (cv joint) of the right front axle. Upon removal of axle from differential I expected a circlip on the differential side of axle either attached to axle or left behind in the groove in the differential, but no, it was not there at all. Manual and parts dept show that circlip.
New axle from Rock Auto did not have a circlip. Is it needed? Anyone insert a new axle with or without circlip?
It appears that if I use it I need to put it into the differential since putting it on the axle would prevent axle from sliding into diff. Thoughts?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Haven't seen too many axle jobs discussed here...hopefully someone with an M37x can provide some info for you soon.

Staminack

Thanks I noticed, I wonder if there are any Infiniti or Nissan mechanics that are on this forum.

EdBwoy

I don't think that location is supposed to have a circlip or snap ring of any kind; and the references of the manual seem to confirm that.

The 2 retaining clips (marked in red) in this system are there for the sole purpose of holding the central shaft (marked in blue) to the assembled joint. On the differential side, the left side is bolted while the right side just slides in, held in place by the dimensions of the rest of the suspension... Or does your axle have a groove for something on the trans/diff side? Can you post pictures since we don't have many axle jobs to reference?

Staminack

I have that drawing too and it doesn't show the circlip. I'll take a picture but there is a page from the dealer drawing that shows the circlip. The diff end of the axle has a clip groove 1\4" from the end and looking into the diff I can see a corresponding groove that would line up. That is where the axle drawing from the dealer shows the circlip and where I expected to see one. But no can see, and I can't see how prying the whole unit out would dislodge it into the diff. The axle rotated smoothly and was a firm removal effort, no hammering required. I picked up that particular part from the dealer p/n 38225x on the drawing and 38225W1200 on the invoice. I stuck a piece of chewing gum inside the female spline diff to grab an impression (feeling like a dentist) to confirm groove matches the circlip. I can't see installing the circlip on the axle first but putting it in place in the diff. The diff end of the axle has a good taper on it to spread the circlip on installation. It comes back to why was there not one there in the first place?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”