Cima Doors wont open after holiday

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
UK-SRi
Car: Nissan Cima 2007/2008

Hi,
Rather urgent small problem.
Returned from a 2 week holiday and now unable to get in. The keyfob does not unlock car, and the small key held in the fob does not even turn in the lock. It used to work as I have used in occasionally before when the keyfob battery ran down.
Any useful tips to get in? I suspect the car battery may have packed in.

It is a december 2006 manufactured GF50 in Japan, so right hand drive for uk roads.

UK-SRi

Hi,
Rather urgent small problem.
Returned from a 2 week holiday and now unable to get in. The keyfob does not unlock car, and the small key held in the fob does not even turn in the lock. It used to work as I have used in occasionally before when the keyfob battery ran down.
Any useful tips to get in? I suspect the car battery may have packed in.

It is a december 2006 manufactured GF50 in Japan, so right hand drive for uk roads.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Try some liquid lube in the door cylinder. Don't use graphite, that's slippery but won't penetrate any crud or corrosion. WD40 works well, but make sure to "chase" it with some regular lock lube after it's freed up. There are also dedicated locksmith products like Houdini, and I'm told (although can't verify) that Superzilla works well for that.

UK-SRi

Well I put a shot of wd40 followed by a shot of 10-30 mineral oil, has not made any difference yet, but will give it time to soak in.

UK-SRi

Hmm, I have left it a few hours, the lock is still stuck hard, but as it is dark now, so I have seen that two red led's flash whilst I am trying to move the lock. current thought is that someone tried half heartedly to break into the car and has triggered lock mode? there are no obvious signs of damage to the locks though. But it does tell me the battery is not dead.
I also added so much wd40 that it ran out of the bottom of the door, and the stiffness of the lock is total, just a few degrees of movement. It has not been hot here while I was away, about 20C or so, not too wet either compared to usual anyway.
Any other ideas?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Unless your Cima has some weird system that never made it to the US, there should be nothing to hold the cylinder even if the alarm is triggered. That system is purely mechanical on every Nissan I've ever seen. It is possible the lock mechanism is what's jammed and not the cylinder, they're usually connected by a linkage rod and a jammed lock arm will prevent the cylinder from turning. A flashing security lamp when the car is turned off is normal, they all do that. You may need to get a door shimming kit and go fishing for the unlock button on the passenger door.

UK-SRi

ok, that gives me something to try, I will try and do it old school fishing for the linkage.

macgiver

Houdini Lock cleaner / prep , in a spray-can ," aint NO lock Houdini can't open !! " Go on......try it :lolling:

UK-SRi

macgiver wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:40 am
Houdini Lock cleaner / prep , in a spray-can ," aint NO lock Houdini can't open !! " Go on......try it :lolling:
Unfortunately not available at a reasonable price this side of the pond. The only link I could find was about $50 for 2.5 oz!!! eek

macgiver

Oh.......UK .......now " the pond " , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Britain ,yes Duh :facepalm:

p.s. ..........so sorry........One question - can you briefly chime in on the your Just Stop Oil situation , like your opinion ?
I think of ALL the little Nissan cars unable to move @ various locations ? Please come back on What's your take on it ? :tisk:

UK-SRi

Its not like an early ford which was the last time I had to do this!
Do I need to go in from the top of the door and through the inner edge of the window, or can I somehow get past the outside edge of the window and down to the lock rods?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yah, they sell inflatable bladders (usually along with a "fishing rod" of some sort) that let you gently separate the top of the window frame without needing to pry on the paint. That's what I meant by a door shimming kit.

UK-SRi

Hi Guys,

I feel stupid now, I was baffled why the key was solid in the locks, when I know from the last time the key fob battery went flat that the key does work.
Recently I purchased a spare key for the car but not tried programming it to the car yet. Anyway in the panic while packing for the holiday I swapped the keys around and had the spare available for when we got back from holiday.

I fished around and ended trying the "other" key.

So now I have a red face and the car out of the driveway again!!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

macgiver

Just use waze and avoid the pile-up now , ya ? :facepalm:

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”