Chromecast!

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Mine arrived today. I'm liking it so far.
Sure, its restrictions on what media it'll play are kind of silly (although they are also not too hard to circumvent). BUT, for $35, a device that streams my Google Play purchases, youtube, and Netflix, it's basically EXACTLY what I needed. The ability to control it from my Nexus 7 is fantastic, and means I can browse for videos to watch/queue up without interrupting the one that's playing.

Formerly, I've been using my PS3 as my media hub for the TV. Netflix, Youtube, and Vudu (for UltraViolet digital copies). The problem is that the PS3 gets hot and LOUD after a while. It also uses a lot of power just to stream basic media. And my biggest issue with the PS3 was that I couldn't watch Google Play Movies or TV purchases.

Google are pretty much geniuses here. This tool might not do a LOT, but it does one thing that's REALLY, REALLY huge for them: it allows people to cheaply and easily watch Google Play purchased media on ANY TV. I've personally been in the position of not wanting to purchase movies and TV shows from Google because I could only watch them on my tablet. Now, that's not the case. So I'll probably be buying a lot more movies and TV shows from them. Google sells me a device for $35 and suddenly I'm interested in spending money. Brilliant business move.

Also, because Chromecast works with Chrome, I can stream ALMS and other obscure motorsports to my TV instead of having to sit at my computer and watch!

Basically, this thing means I really do not miss cable at all.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”