Chrome Wheels

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
exvin
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder

Hey All

I was wondering if you guys use any products on chrome wheels. I have been reading about chrome polishes and chrome cleaners, are there any differences? Then I read about chrome wax, is there a wax in any regular auto parts store that can be used on chrome?

What products do you guys recommend?

Thanks

exvin
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder

Anyoneooooo **echoesss**

240sxFTW
Car: 89, 240sx coupe

I have some chrome eagle alloys which are in quite s***ty condition but i used mother chrome polish. It worked pretty good. I mean nothing highly noticable. but i dont have a buffer so i dont know. Try that stuff on a buffer and apply it a few times and you could possibly get a mirror of chrome.

Mothers is a reputable brand so id assume that it would polish up pretty good with a little elbow grease.

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

heyy exvin, nvr thought id see an r50 owner elsewhere! on my chromes i used mothers powerball mini with mothers chrome polish....amazing results. Then i got a long handled soft brush to wipe off dirt from drivin around ocassionally

bostonsftl

When we do rim detailing at my shop, we use a product called Colonel Brassy. The stuff is amazing at bringing rims back to life. Afterwards we apply a coating of spray wax that we let sit for about 45 mins per rim. Honestly the best thing you can do is keep your rims clean and dry. If you let them get too bad, your only option is to have them re-plated. So if they are in pretty good shape, just clean them up with a good wash, dry, and some chrome polish. If they are pretty hammered i would suggest the Colonel Brassy and some wax. Hope that helps.

opticnerv
Car: 89' Nissan 240sx SE

windex no joke

Showroom
Car: 05 Corvette C6 TT, 1994 Mustang Cobra

Windex will clean them, but it will also strip any protectant you have on there and it's caustic and in the long run you won't be happy. If you want to go OTC then Mother's will do just fine, I actually use it often at my shop. Just make sure when you clean them to use a pH balanced wheel cleaner or dedicated chrome cleaner. You also need to seal them(including inner wheel). This will help with the brake dust and also prevent from etching. You can use a wax or sealant. They do sell Collinite at Harbor Freight. If you want to use professional products, go with P21S for cleaning, Flitz for Metal(or Mothers), and Klasse AIO to seal. Hope this helps.

dusred
Car: Previous Q45 owner, 09 Corolla, Ford F250 Diesel truck

Clean the wheels with Windex and once you've got all the big chunks off you can go over them with Turtle Wax's "Chrome Polish" and that will make them mirror shinny. I know, turtle waxs' products are usually junk but I have no problem with their chrome polish.

Are your wheels chrome or polished aluminum ?

If they are in face aluminum use Mothers Polish. You can buy a tub of it at Wal-Mart for about $5.00.

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

exvin wrote:Hey All

I was wondering if you guys use any products on chrome wheels. I have been reading about chrome polishes and chrome cleaners, are there any differences? Then I read about chrome wax, is there a wax in any regular auto parts store that can be used on chrome?

What products do you guys recommend?

Thanks
With respect to the opinions of others, I would never use any kind of polish on a NEW chrome wheel.i want to preserve that brilliant chrome surface, not dull it up.It is true that a chrome wheel that has begun to rust can benefit from polish

The fact is, abrasive polish or cleaners can actually wear down and dull the chrome over time.

Chrome looks its best when it's clean and there is nothing on it.That may be O.K. for a show car but exposure to the elements can take a toll on chrome.Any water proof barrier you can apply to your chrome wheels will protect them from the elements.

That would exclude polish and most kinds of wax.Careful not to use a streaking or yellowing wax that will harden from the heat of the brakes and become a problem to remove.

The best protectant should be non hardening, non abrasive, able to withstand extreme heat, cold, moisture, salt and be virtually invisible.

One of the biggest problems for chrome is road salt in the winter and the corrosion it can cause if left to rest on your chrome or paint.
Modified by Thorshammer at 5:10 PM 2/27/2010

Return to “Detailing Forum”