Chris Rado bashed the drifting scene!!!!

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
HondaCRX

Nissan-S14 wrote:First of all I dont have the time to spell check, I go on this forum at work, I just dont have the spare time, I wrote as fast as I can.
Then, you shouldn't go off calling other people "morons", now, should you?

Quote »You on the other hand own a CRX, so you obveoulsy dont see a problem with SCC having Hondas all over, but after premedia covering hondas for past 5 years cover to cover and only recently started putting in few nissans here and there.[/quote]ooh, another assumption. my ownership of a specific brand doesn't mean i:1. like them all2. own the car in pride3. hate every other marque.

Because I own a CRX, doesn't mean I defend Hondas. Just because I own a Maxima, doesn't mean I defend Nissans. I'm a car person. I enjoy ALL motorsports. I respect those who help make motorsports more popular and create more events.

Quote »To point how dumb chris is, you obveously havent followed his story.[/quote]I haven't seen anyone POST the entire article. It's like a movie review "Giglia... greatest... movie... ever", posted in it's entirity, it'd be "Giglia is the greatest failure of a movie that ever existed."

Post the entire article. Don't nitpick the minor details and twist them into something it's not.

Quote »Theres no way you or him can change my mind about this freaggin idiot chris r. after this article. Oh and if you havent read the article please do so and then post here and defend this idiot. [/quote] I'm not trying to change your mind... it's obvious you're beyond help. I'm merely pointing out the other side that you are clearly blind of, as well as adding some facts to this thread. If it sways someone's opinion, great. If it doesn't, no skin off my back. But, to bash someone you don't know, based on an article you (as well as a handful of others) are taking out of context... is quite humourous.

Fact: Chris Rado is making more money than you.Fact: Chris Rado has more sponsors than you.Fact: Chris Rado is making more money than you.Fact: Chris Rado's opinions are published in an international magazine that reaches thousands upon thousands... what's your claim to fame?

Quote »Crhis R. calls drift cars gheto and not all that.[/quote]From the linked thread, the quote is as follows:Quote »A lot of cars looked pretty ghetto in D1,they were beat up and looked it"[/quote]hmmm... i can say the same thing. A lot of cars in D1 do look pretty ghetto. Does that mean ALL? your 240sx looks pretty ghetto with the black alloys on the rear and the power slot rotors. I've seen plenty of pictures of some beat up "drift" cars. Does it mean ALL? nope. I've seen plenty of very clean drift cars as well.

Oh well, when you "drifters" stop worrying about what people are saying about the motorsport, the sport will achieve some more respect. People bash autocross all the time, do you see people making threads about someone's opinions about it?

DriftFactory
Car: Evil S13

"I haven't seen anyone POST the entire article. "

Then why comment on it? Most of us HAVE read the entire article and we are telling you that the tone was the same through out.

"Oh well, when you "drifters" stop worrying about what people are saying about the motor sport, the sport will achieve some more respect."

Uhhh ok. Drifting has respect. On top of that we are not worrying about anyone bad mouthing the sport, we are angry that some guy bad mouths it, then states that he will do it better than the people that ARE the sport. The problem is not that he is speaking poorly of drifting. The problem is that he is arrogant and belittling to those in the sport. On top of that he has proven from his statements that he has not the faintest clue what drifting is about but that he will show everyone "including the D1 drivers" how it’s done.

Chingon

^seems pretty arrogant and insulting to me...yet I take it w/a grain of salt...'cuz well, there are morons on this earth...:rolleyes

and he claims he is not a bandwagon jumper because he started drifting in '03....:pface <that's from his own words at the forum linked.

Chingon

ps: thanks club4ag for the image.

Chingon

oh...this is what a colleague had to say about the moron:

Originally posted by gc pwr Wow, I didn’t know people actually read my column in Import Tuner! Want to hear something really weird? Don’t you find it strange that Rado’s column came out at the same time my column came out? Maybe cause we both had the same deadline and I spoke with Chris at D1. I hate to do this to you Chris but I’ve known you for a long time but things need to be said. You of all people should know that you don’t rip on something that you don’t know anything about. I don’t know if you read my column but it was all based on us talking at D1. So technically, yeah, my column was based on you. I was so pissed on how you were going about drifting and I tried to point some things out (somewhat under my breath) that you didn’t know about to point you in the right direction but you didn’t want to hear it. Maybe it was cause the MTV cameras were on but never the less I tried to warn you about things.

To start with you should understand that the drift community is just like the drag community You can either be hated or excepted. In the drag community, you were excepted and from there teams worked as family to help each other out right? Damn, I even let you borrow my tilton clutch when you were racing in palmdale. You didn’t use it but it was there if you needed it. That’s the best part about being part of the community, you have newly found friends that are willing to help you out whether it’s car parts or even just help working on the car.

Well drifting has its own community and some of the things you stated in your column just burned all bridges with making friends in this small yet growing industry. Let’s put it this way, If John Force said he was gonna compete in the pro FWD class and blow everyone away with a top fuel motor mounted sideways what would you and the rest of the import drag crowd say? “That’s ridiculous cause the car would never get traction and he doesn’t know how to build a FWD car.” Well the same thing goes with the drift community. Do you think that anyone is going to be on your side without you even attempting to get behind the wheel and trying it yet. I could tell you first hand it’s much different then doing donuts in a parking lot. Right now I could tell you a lot of stuff that will help you along the way but after reading your column I’m just gonna keep my mouth shut so you learn the hard way.

This is a sport that doesn’t require the amount of technology as a front drive drag car. Sh!4, you know me Chris, I’m a tech editor, when I started getting into drifting I wanted to apply so much unnecessary technology just so it looks cool. It’s a waste of money. Drifting doesn’t require much technology in the car but a lot of technology in the driver. You make 300 to 450 horsepower and have it last the season and call it a day. I know exactly what you want to do cause I wanted to do the same, engine datalogging, super crazy engine management, even a trying to make a tube chassis car. For now, I believe it’s all unnecessary. I could tell you think the pits look unprofessional and you are going to bring it to the next level. What you forget is the Apexi guys (my good friends Len and Jensen) came from the drag scene and if you look at the way this team is ran, you wouldn’t be able to tell if they were going to drag the FD or drift it. Hate to say it but we beat you to the punch on that one. It might not be a big rig but we do run it professionally.

Now after reading this whole thread it seems that everything is all fixed with you and the drifters but…for the record let me tell you why I wrote my column. At D1 I said, “So you jumping on the bandwagon with the rest for the drag racers starting to drift?” you stated, “Bandwagon! Sh!4! I’ve been building my truck since November. November huh, your not bandwagon cause you started building your truck in November. How is that not bandwagon? That was the start of why I wrote my column. Then you stated, “I’ll have no problem qualifying in D1. Next year I’m in!” When you told me this, I was about to flip! You totally disrespected drivers that have been drifting for years and are still not able to qualify for D1! Next, Kazama’s car drives by was on the rev limiter making all kinds of noise and you say. “Damn, this type of racing is for me. That car sounds like my old drag car when it was on the 2-step. I was the first one to use one and everyone thought I was crazy.” Now I’m even more pissed off cause a two-step has nothing to do with drifting and to top it off you weren’t the first one to use a two-step on a fwd drag car. Neither was I but I could claim that before you can cause I installed one on Dave Shih’s CRX when it was a record holding fwd. That was before you even got into drag racing!

So you see why I was so pissed when I wrote my column. Fortunately for you I calmed down when I proof read it and took you name out of the column. Now you are saying that Ella (SCC copy editor) rewrote what you originally said in your column? She’s four offices down the hallway from me, if you want me to verify that I can? I highly doubt the words got turned around that much. I hate to rip on you so hard Chris but I know how you are. For the record, you’ve always been hospitable at the track and even when we partied at your house! You are a nice guy but sometimes you talk a little too much. Saying that I will say this. I spoke to Steph about his drift car and the only thing he has ever said is, “It looks fun so I want to try it. I don’t know if I’ll be any good at it but I want to give it a try.” That was plain and simple, didn’t try to claim he would be good at it cause he can do 200-plus in his drag car, just simply stated that it looks fun and he would like to try it. No ****y attitude.

Again, I’m sorry you had to hear it this way but you can’t join the community with the attitude you presented. I just hope most of these drifters are able to give you that second chance. If we are still friends that cool, if not, I don’t blame you, I came off as a d*** in this post.

Good day,Gary Castillo

Nissan-S14
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX SE

Chingon, well said. And like I said before I met Chris a few times, he came off as a very nice guy. But after this article, I just dont respect him anymore. Oh well Vinny ten was always my favorite anyways.

And the guy that owns the CRX, - this board is to discus opinions of others and yourself. That idiotic opinion was by Chris. And everyone else on this board who is part of the drifting community agree with me. Since you probably have no idea what it is like about being a drifter or being in this community, you don not understanf what Im talking about. To be a drifter for some its very hard to learn and very costly, and for some hot shot who never done it before come here and trash talk. He doesnt get any respect from me or any person in here. Except you (and only you.) When you become part of us, then maybe you will understand. But for you to point out spelling. LOL thats lame. Because everyone in here understood every word and no one had a problem. For you defend Chris without reading the article, that explains it all. And you dont see any drifters saying how stupid drag racing is? Or how pathetic FWD cars are. We respect others, when others respect us. Finally, us the RWD cars and drifters getting respect now and recognition we need it to begin with. And for someone to come out and smash it all. NOT NOW, nor EVER AGAIN.

HondaCRX

DriftFactory wrote:Then why comment on it? Most of us HAVE read the entire article and we are telling you that the tone was the same through out.
Because most of the comments seem to be takened completely out of context.

After reading the article, it still seems that way.

The article reads like an arrogant racer. Does he bash the ENTIRE drifting community and it's cars? nope. He bashed the most of the D1 cars. last i heard, D1 wasn't all encompassing.

Quote »Uhhh ok. Drifting has respect. [/quote]who said it didn't? reread the message in it's entirity, without omitting key words. by the way, the SCCA community, by large, tends to NOT respect drifting...

Quote »we are angry that some guy bad mouths it, then states that he will do it better than the people that ARE the sport.[/quote]Why get angry? People have done this for YEARS. I can easily CLAIM I will outdrive every drag racer... but, it's only a claim and holds no water until my name is on every 1st place trophy. Why get bent out of shape over what "he said".

Don't take my devil advocate's side as defending his word or his stance on anything. He has been, and will most likely always be, an arrogant member of the racing community. We have plenty.
Nissan-S14 wrote: And everyone else on this board who is part of the drifting community agree with me.
This does this desperately screams of "I'm right, you're wrong", regardless of content? There's no right or wrong in this. It's merely sides. Granted, in normal society, majority opinion defines what's right or wrong... you can't go about using "well, they agree with me, so i must be right" as privelege or rite of passage.

Quote » Since you probably have no idea what it is like about being a drifter or being in this community, you don not understanf what Im talking about.[/quote]Really? I don't? now, you're going to push some "holier-than-thou" argument without any (and i mean ANY) factual backing.

How many drift events have you been to? How many drift testing days have you been to?Ever won any trophies/awards?How many drift events/testing days have ***I*** been to, since you're so worldy on everyone's experiences?How many trophies/awards do i have from drift events?

Quote »To be a drifter for some its very hard to learn and very costly[/quote]No, to a drifter, drifting wouldn't be "very hard to learn" since they already know how...hence "a drifter". Someone learning to drift, wouldn't be a "drifter". ie. a person learning to play the piano isn't a pianist until they can actually play.

Quote »He doesnt get any respect from me or any person in here. Except you (and only you.)[/quote]See, that's the problem. I give him my respect for what he's done for the import motorsport community. I give him respect for the professionalism he brings to drag racing. Just because he was pretentious about his entry into drifting doesn't mean what he has done, is null and void.

Quote » But for you to point out spelling. LOL thats lame. Because everyone in here understood every word and no one had a problem.[/quote]I think you missed the irony there. You were calling someone a moron, yet, you were having difficulty using BASIC ENGLISH! Kettle, Pot, Black.

Quote »And you dont see any drifters saying how stupid drag racing is? Or how pathetic FWD cars are. We respect others, when others respect us. [/quote]so, the posts about FWD cars was respecting others?

let me clear some things up before you go off trying to rewrite my life.

I think drifting is a great addition to motorsports. Keep it on the track and I'm all for it. I think those kids who drift on the streets should die or never be allowed to procreate, to prevent adding more idiocy to the gene pool.Chris Rado has been an influential drag racer. will he help drifting? i bet he will... but, will he be good at it? who knows. who cares...right now, the sport is too new to worry about who is going to be good. It's about bringin participation levels higher, more awareness, and creating a more corporate level of respect to the sport.

The article did not read like someone bashing Drifting. It read like someone who didn't have a GREAT experience at ONE particular D1 event and was out to show a lot of people up. aka, trash talking.

by the way, Nissan-S14, I'm sure i can outdrive you in any motorsport :)

Nissan-S14

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

no further comment.

wowwww lololololololol

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

OK, enough.

Seems like we're actually pretty much all in agreement here.

Article was ill-advised, written by a spoon-fed raceboy who, despite being skilled, is a litttle too pompous and arrogant for my taste. But people can think what they want.

No need to defend the sport - When I was racing an 84 CRX, I felt the SAME way about the Honda scene - Bandwagon! But no amount of complaining could change it... I just went out and whupped some arse and kept my mouth shut.

Let's just sit back and see what transpires... :)

Anand

bah... pay no attention to the guy behind the curtin

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

hondacrx, its his attitude, you understand how saying things like that could perturb a person. Now say all that in a magazine, and you are going to perturb alot of people, especially when you were one of the most respected drag racers. I liked the guy until this editorial. I was sitting on the toilet reading it, and so perturbed i called up AREITU and said, "listen to this, chris rado is jumping on the bandwagon, and thinks hes going to destroy all the pros from japan because he can drive in the snow." Yes areitu i was taking a **** with you on the phone, now you know oh well.

MR2NER
Car: 1991 240SX

I'm starting to find these import drag racing guys to be annoying. They get some sponsors and attention and think they are the backbone of the import industry. In the streets though know one gives a rats *** about those losers. Shut up and go do a K&N commercial

hatebobbarker

k&n has commercials?

Nissan-S14

They do now, few industries have commercials now, I found it very interesting, you can catch these commercial, when watching the driftinh show (redline TV) on FIrst Network for Men at 11:30 on saturdays.

hatebobbarker

11:30 am or pm

Phax
Car: Control dynamics

I just found this thread, and I don't really have much to add other than I think Chris Rado is wack. I have nothing to base my opinion on other than the articles he writes in SCC. From what I can tell, he's a drag racer with some sponsors and because he's "making it" in drag racing, has a huge ego. The way he writes comes off as his opinion being all knowing, and anyone who would disagree with him obviously doesn't know jack.

I think he's just a whiner, who is getting paid to write articles about what it is like to be sponsored.

Phax
Car: Control dynamics

I just found this thread, and I don't really have much to add other than I think Chris Rado is wack. I have nothing to base my opinion on other than the articles he writes in SCC. From what I can tell, he's a drag racer with some sponsors and because he's "making it" in drag racing, has a huge ego. The way he writes comes off as his opinion being all knowing, and anyone who would disagree with him obviously doesn't know jack.

I think he's just a whiner, who is getting paid to write articles about what it is like to be sponsored.

Nissan-S14

hatebobbarker wrote:11:30 am or pm
AM

http://www.redline-tv.com/

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”