Chirping Clutch

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
NateDogg

Hey all,

No I'm not gonna brag about how I can chirp 3rd gear or something like that...I replace my clutch with a CF DF last year but didnt change out the TO bearing or the pilot bushing...*not enough time*..I have also changed to a PM shortshifter. The chirping/chattering noise happens when the clutch pedal is engaged (not depressed) and goes away once the pedal is depressed. Sometimes it's there, sometimes its not...I have a feeling it might be the short shifter because I started noticing the noise after I installed it. I've also read that it may be the TO bearing, and/or even the pilot bushing!?!? The best way to describe it is a high pitched chirp or chatter hehe... I appreciate any input.

Thanks,Nate

drjohn

May need more info. If the noise happens as you let the clutch out check the pilot bushing and release bearing. The fact that they weren't replaced at clutch replacements means this could be the problem. The release bearing if dry will intermittently make noise do to the fact that it has a slight pressure on it from the slave cylinder and makes contact on the pressure plate fingers. The pilot bushing can cause a chatter but is mostly restricted to pedal being in or when releasing the clutch pedal in gear.

NateDogg

Makes me lean towards the release bearing..If I put a slight amount of pressure to soak up the freeplay in the clutch, the noise goes away. Then it stays silent as I fully depress the clutch pedal. I've noticed its making noise when im driving in gear also. However the noise is most notable when in neutral with the clutch pedal released. I think this is because I cant hear anything other than my exhaust when driving.

Do you know of any tricks on how to replace the release bearing? I'm pretty sure I know how to replace the pilot bushing and TO bearing but this is a new one to me.

Thanks for you help Doc.

drjohn

It's pretty simple once you get the trans out. The tickey part is aligning the clutch disc up if you don't have a alignment tool. The pilot bushing can be hard but if you find something hard that fits into the pilot bushing you can pack the old bushing with wheel bearing grease and slip the hard object,a rod or wood dowel,into the bushing and hit it with a hammer and the grease will force the bushing out by hydrolics.

NateDogg

Sweet, thanks for the help.

I'll do the TO bearing, pilot bearing and release bearing and let you know if it stops chattering.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”