Checking oil level 2004 Quest

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

So my 2004 Quest SE is new to me and I am concerned that I won't be able to accurately monitor oil consumption. It seems that the engine needs to be dead cold to get a reading and the van absolutely level. When I was doing the check I had just completed an oil change, drove about 30 miles and wanted to see how the oil level looked. I could barely get a reading on the stick. I've since drained the oil again to do some engine work, I will measure the oil that drained when I get to it. Hopefully the oil leaks on the engine will be greatly reduced when I'm finished. I just don't feel confident that I will get accurate oil level readings. Don't have a warm feeling about something that is so basic.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

So contrary to owner's manual stated capacities of 4-1/4 quarts, I just read a post where members insist that with a filter change the VQ35DE takes 4-3/4 quarts of oil. Any debate on this?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ESM says 4-1/4 US qts is right.

chefnee
Car: 2008 Nissan Quest SE

I have a 2008 model. It's about the same capacity. i usually don't get too hanged up on exact measurements. The dipstick is hard to read anyways. Once I fully drain the engine oil, I usually allow another five minutes before I close up the drain plug. I usually just add per the oil bottle. I usually buy the large 5 quart bottles (US). I pour in about 4 out of 5 quarts. Then I proceed to drive it for the week. On that following Saturday, I check the dipstick, and see what the oil level is at. It's easier to add rather than take away.

Return to “Quest Forum”