Check your oil

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

This is my first Nissan, or any vehicle for that matter with direct injection. Last oil change was at 5k and had periodically checked it just to make sure it wasn’t low. When I changed it last it was dead on the full line, not over or under. I checked it 3700 miles in and it was over full which I’m assuming is from fuel dilution. I know Honda and Kia have some major issues so just something for 2.5 owners to be aware of. I of course changed the oil and won’t be letting this thing idle as much in the winter, but kind of hard to do when it’s 5degrees out. Not sure I’m liking fuel thinning out my 0w20 and really see no way possible that my 21 would ever be able to adhere to the manufacture recommendation of 10k oil changes.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Depending on your driving change more frequently within your common sense.

In Europe where 10,000+ mile oil change are de rigeur (because they are very expensive and manufacturers get a lot of pressure to think about the environmental impact form oil changes) technicans have been seeing problems from that.

I was just watching german master tech for Mercedes complaining on the internet that fuel dilution from too many short trips was making the oil too thin to work properly.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PalmerWMD wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:24 pm
Depending on your driving change more frequently within your common sense.

In Europe where 10,000+ mile oil change are de rigeur (because they are very expensive and manufacturers get a lot of pressure to think about the environmental impact form oil changes) technicans have been seeing problems from that.

I was just watching german master tech for Mercedes complaining on the internet that fuel dilution from too many short trips was making the oil too thin to work properly.
That's the key, trip length. The PCV system is there to evacuate blowby, but there's no way to make the piston and cylinder wall clearance any tighter when the engine is cold. On direct-injected vehicles that results in a lot of "wall washing" until the car warms up fully, and if it never does, the PCV system is eventually overwhelmed and the oil is contaminated. Forget the "factory interval" and judge yours by your car, climate, and driving habits.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Yeah I agree. 3k will be the norm at least in cold weather. I was just amazed that the dipstick was showing a 1/2 qt over filled in a very short time period. The wife’s 18 has 4 3/4 go in and pretty much the same comes out. Minus the filter. Thing is this car took a couple of long trips which should have burnt any fuel off but it didn’t.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I just changed this PITA today. Man do I hate that belly pan! I ran the oil control system down to about 50% or 5k…thereabouts. The old oil filled a 5 quart jug full and with what the filter holds I’d say, it was just about right. Checking the oil is about as much of a pain as the belly pan as you can never get a clear line on the dipstick. The manual calls for 5.4 qts, which is 5qts plus 12 ounces. Every time I’ve changed it I’ve only added 5 qts and 6 ounces and it sets at the full line. I run the car up on ramps and the drain plug is on the side of the pan which is more great engineering, so I don’t think I’m getting it all out. Changing the oil on this thing takes a pre game pep talk and a couple beers.

Return to “6th Generation Altima Sedan (2019+)”