Check Out What I Scored Today

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
mdb4879
Car: 1987 Nissan Pulsar SE (CA18DET)
1990 Nissan 240SX (KA24E)
1995 Acura Integra GSR

I finally made the trip to LKQ today to pick up this beauty. I missed my chance at the last one they had, and didn't think another would ever come in.

It's an RS5F50A out of a Nissan Stanza. 154,000 miles and it felt perfect in the car. Shifter was tight and it spins freely. It'll be in much better condition than the one that's currently in my Pulsar (bearings make all sorts of noise, hard to shift fast, shifter is a little sloppy, but that may just be in the shift linkage bushings). Plus I'm sure the longer gears will be useful for the power I'm planning on the next time I rebuild it. Sorry to say that may not be for another year or two, but I'm glad I got this while I had the chance. For $150 out the door with the slave cylinder, rubber line, and the mount (not sure if it's the same as the Pulsar's or not) I'd say it was a steal.

Here's some extras:

Massive flywheel in the Stanza. Looks about the size of a stock RWD CA flywheel.

I decided to compare it to the Integra GSR transmission that goes to my autocross car while I had it out. They are similar in size, but the Nissan transmission easily outweighs the Honda trans. From the looks of it and from picking it up, I'd say most of the weight difference is in the differential. Knowing how strong the Honda trans is, though, it's easy to see how these RS5F50A's have held up to some high horsepower abuse from Dee and various others.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Congrats on the rare part man!

Have you got a build thread ready for when it goes in?

mdb4879
Car: 1987 Nissan Pulsar SE (CA18DET)
1990 Nissan 240SX (KA24E)
1995 Acura Integra GSR

Nah, I've always been terrible about making build threads. I usually get caught up in working on it and never take the time to document it, though. I'm going to try to for once the next time this car goes together, but that's a couple years down the road.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Don't feel too bad. I don't think I've ever done any complete build thread either.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”