check out this m37

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
zman82

Sorry for clickbait title lol.

So I've recently acquired a need for a sedan. Back in 2013 I had rented an m37 and absolutely loved it. I also rented a q70 6 months ago and was not a huge fan. I mean it was nice but it felt like someone sucked the soul out of it.

Ever since I rented that m37 I've wanted to own one, so now I'm going to buy one.

What do I need to know? I looked through the forum for about an hour trying to find common issues to look out for and didn't really find anything. I absolutely love adaptive cruise control but unfortunately it seems the feature is pretty rare as most are missing the buttons on the bottom right of the steering wheel, so I'm nixing it as a requirement.

Any issues with 100k miles? Normally I wouldn't be looking at a car with that high of mileage, but I found one local to me that is in remarkable condition for it's mileage. I might go drive it. Any suggestions of things to pay attention to?

What do you guys think about this car? Not sure if it has any desirable features it has or is missing besides the adaptive cruise control.
https://www.eliteacura.com/inventory/us ... r8cm394755

Thanks in advance!

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Looks perfec to me. However the only question I would have is why owner number 3 only had it for 3500 miles.

zman82

I saw that too, thought it was odd as well.

Any problems to keep an eye out for if I test drive it?

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

No it’s a solid car. The v6 rocks the 7 speed transmission is amazingly solid. I’ve had the m56 for 7 years and 100k very reliable.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Take the number of owners carfax lists with a grain of salt. I have seen cars that showed multiple owners that were incorrect. Had one of my own show 3 ownership transfers the entire time I owned it.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Carfax is not 100% accurate - nothing is. But is should be easy enough to get the car scanned for a code history. It appears very clean and well cared for - that is a plus. Even the wheels look to be curb-rash-free. Slide underneath and have a squinz at the steering linkage, oil pan, etc. Look for obvious signs of rust, dents, scratching, oil dripping, coolant leaks,etc. You already know that after 100k miles, major things are in their final years of life so make sure you stuff some money away each month for the inevitable repairs. During the test drive, bring a CD to test the player, the stereo, each of the speakers, etc. Mash each and every button to make sure everything works as it should, switch between air/con, heat, defrost etc to see if the vent controllers work.
I can tell from the photos that it isn't a high-optioned car (no surround sound, etc), but even standard M37s come with plenty of kit. The price seems good. I'd buy it if it passes the eyeball inspection test.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

i really enjoyed the white color, now that i am retired and have time i can take care of a black car , but white looked nice for a long time between washes

zman82

Larz wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 pm
Carfax is not 100% accurate - nothing is. But is should be easy enough to get the car scanned for a code history. It appears very clean and well cared for - that is a plus. Even the wheels look to be curb-rash-free. Slide underneath and have a squinz at the steering linkage, oil pan, etc. Look for obvious signs of rust, dents, scratching, oil dripping, coolant leaks,etc. You already know that after 100k miles, major things are in their final years of life so make sure you stuff some money away each month for the inevitable repairs. During the test drive, bring a CD to test the player, the stereo, each of the speakers, etc. Mash each and every button to make sure everything works as it should, switch between air/con, heat, defrost etc to see if the vent controllers work.
I can tell from the photos that it isn't a high-optioned car (no surround sound, etc), but even standard M37s come with plenty of kit. The price seems good. I'd buy it if it passes the eyeball inspection test.
Thanks for the advice! I really like my audio, and I really like adaptive cruise control so I may keep looking.

Is there any easy way to identify the stereo when looking at photos?

zman82

Also what’s the m56x like? I am a guy that likes power, but when I drove the m37 I liked the motor trans combo a lot, I didn’t feel the need for v8.

I realize it’s DI and probably needs the intake path media blasted every 75k, but besides that how does the m56 compare to the m37? I mean the m56 sells for a big premium in the used market. I’m not sure it’s worth it consider how good the v6 is and how reliable it is.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

You can identify which stereo it has by looking at pics of the front seats. If there are speakers next to the head rests on the front seats, it has the surround sound, which also contains other upgrades.
One good thing about the M56 (besides the added poser) is that the gas mileage is not significantly lower than the 3.7 engine. The not so great th8ing is that the 5.6 has a history of oil consumption and timing chain issues (fixed by a recall).

John2
Car: 2013 M37x

That's a pretty car, and similar to the 2013 M37x I bought and am very happy with. Mine has a few more options, but I had to add the spoiler and splash guards after the fact. This car already has them. Very nice.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

zman82 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:15 am
Also what’s the m56x like? I am a guy that likes power, but when I drove the m37 I liked the motor trans combo a lot, I didn’t feel the need for v8.

I realize it’s DI and probably needs the intake path media blasted every 75k, but besides that how does the m56 compare to the m37? I mean the m56 sells for a big premium in the used market. I’m not sure it’s worth it consider how good the v6 is and how reliable it is.
If you like the power then you might want to pay the extra premium for the V8, because you will be able to tell the difference. It was worth every penny to me. I bought my '12 M56x in Sept 2015, just came off of a 3 year lease with 52K miles. I always get the V6 as a loaner when I have my car serviced, and I'm always dying to get my car back. After driving the V8, the V6 seems super slow. The techs know my car and they always tell me that they love the V8 especially with the custom exhaust and Uprev tune. Things about the V8:

1. The V8 is a DI engine, and it will require adding a couple of quarts in between oil changes. This is due to excess PVC blow-by which helps guide valve rod lubrication. I installed catch cans to help capture some of the excess.
2. There was an issue with the oil jet on the passenger side which affected the timing chains, but that is covered under a recall notice. The dealer can run your VIN to see if your car is covered.
3. The V8 catalytic converters are the exhaust manifolds, as opposed to the V6 which are bolted onto the exhaust manifolds as separate parts. If your cats require replacement be prepared to spend major bucks, as the motor will have to be lifted to be able to do the job. The V6 cats are easy to replace.
4. Not many performance mods for the V8. You're limited to a custom exhaust, K&N filters, silicone intake hoses, tune. There are many more options for the V6, including supercharging.
5.With my mods, I get the same mileage as the V6, if not better in some cases.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”