Check engine light

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
digimon
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Check engine light is solid on and did not go off after several trips, although the gas cap is tightly closed.
The manual says take the car to dealer. That car is over 10 years old, has over 80k miles on it and passed emission test a couple of months ago.
Any ideas what else to check besides the gas cap?

Vman62
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV

Find a friend with an OBD-II scanner and have the engine tell you what the fault is. I've heard auto parts places will do a scan for free.

The most common faults I've had with my cars are EGR issues (bad valve, bad sensor, clogged ports).

digimon

Vman62 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:44 pm
Find a friend with an OBD-II scanner and have the engine tell you what the fault is. I've heard auto parts places will do a scan for free.

The most common faults I've had with my cars are EGR issues (bad valve, bad sensor, clogged ports).
After over 60 miles the engine light went off on its own, but I ordered Ancel AD310 scanner from Amazon anyway, just to see what it will find.

digimon

The OBD-II scanner showed the P0101 code.

I was not able to attach a picture. Do the moderators here know that even 300KB .JPG picture gives "HTTP Error" when you try to attach it?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

digimon wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:13 am

I was not able to attach a picture. Do the moderators here know that even 300KB .JPG picture gives "HTTP Error" when you try to attach it?
Yes, we're aware of a technical glitch with the attachment function (which has nothing to do with file size).

You can still hotlink with an online image hosting site.

How to upload pictures on NICOclub: using IMGUR

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

P0101 by itself on a gen1 Rogue usually means a dirty Throttle Body, a bad PCV Valve, dirty or out-of-calibration MAF, or a failing A/F sensor (front O2), probably in that order. However, since the MAF is easiest, first try cleaning it and performing an Idle Air Volume Learn (IAVL).

digimon

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:17 am
P0101 by itself on a gen1 Rogue usually means a dirty Throttle Body, a bad PCV Valve, dirty or out-of-calibration MAF, or a failing A/F sensor (front O2), probably in that order. However, since the MAF is easiest, first try cleaning it and performing an Idle Air Volume Learn (IAVL).
As the check engine light is off now, after over 60 miles, I will not attempt to fix anything until it comes on again.

digimon

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:57 am
digimon wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:13 am

Yes, we're aware of a technical glitch with the attachment function (which has nothing to do with file size).

You can still hotlink with an online image hosting site.

How to upload pictures on NICOclub: using IMGUR
I appreciate your response.
I would not like to use third party service for attachments. What is the ETR for this technical issue?

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

14 yr old rogue here.

Had my share of check engine lights.

Something has to be dirty up in there.

Do what you seem is fit.

The reason because of my problems was because local gas stations was using crappy corn in our fuel.

And years of carbon buildup, dirty insides. Etc.

The govt supporting ethanol was plain dumb especially when there is a plethora of oil domestically that we stopped drilling for and now supporting electric for the future.

Had way better mileage with pure gasoline when I was a young lad many moons ago.

Only lights I get now are the vdc & slip lights turning on occasionally. I just pray they don’t show up.

Others had these lights show up a few years after purchase. So I’m actually happy it took 14 years.

Runs smooth as butter. But if the lights show up, it might sputter during acceleration. :bang

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

digimon wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:16 am
I would not like to use third party service for attachments. What is the ETR for this technical issue?
FIXED!
FylnaRfX0AASGUb.png
FylnaRfX0AASGUb.png (277.81 KiB) Viewed 683 times

digimon

UPDATE:
The engine light was back, so I was thinking about cleaning the MAF sensor and purchased CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner.
Before attempting to clean the MAF sensor, I checked the engine air filter chamber and noticed some pieces of leaves and dirt at the bottom.
I used portable vacuum cleaner to clean that, and it also sucked in some broken plastic retainer clips, that I did not expect to find there.
Then I reset the P0101 code using the OBD-II scanner, and since then the engine light is off.
I keep my fingers crossed, but if the engine light comes back, I will clean the MAF sensor and see if that helps.

digimon

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:50 pm
digimon wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:16 am
FIXED!
Thanks a bunch!

Svtrit

Glad your problem is solved.

Ethanol, corn in the gas, actually cleans engines. It’s a very good scrubber. I regularly soak small engine carbs in E85 that are gunked up to clean them.

It just doesn’t sit long like 80’s gas did.

digimon

Svtrit wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:14 pm
Glad your problem is solved.

Ethanol, corn in the gas, actually cleans engines. It’s a very good scrubber. I regularly soak small engine carbs in E85 that are gunked up to clean them.

It just doesn’t sit long like 80’s gas did.
Thank you for the tip, although I do not see how this is related to the topic we are discussing here :crazy:
Are you suggesting to clean MAF sensor with gasoline?

Svtrit

No. I was replying to an earlier comment in the thread.

Return to “Rogue Forum”