Check Engine Light Mystery... caused by prior collison damage???

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
ncuster
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Hey all,

I just bought an 03 G35 Coupe w/ AT and 31,000 miles last week (for $23,000). My check engine light just came in for service and I just found out that the car has some signs of major front end damage after being sold to me as "collison free" from a private party.

I have a few questions:

1.) The code from the check engine light is from the thermostat. The coolant in the car is RED. I know that it is supposed to be the GREEN coolant. Could this have caused the problem? The guys at Infiniti are stumped because they have never delt with this problem before. They also say that this code is rare for a car with so few miles.

They recommended that I flush and fill the system. They are denying warranty coverage because there is evidence of collison damage to the front end. This will cost me between $400-$500 without warranty coverage. Are they able to deny warranty coverage for that reason?

2.) Also, could this cause premature corrosion problems down the road?

3.) There is no record of prior 15,000 mile and 30,000 mile maintenance. Could this have caused the problem?

4.) Also, they car was sold to me as an "collision-free car." At first glance it looked great, and I was excited to get it, and I overlooked that the fit and finish on the front bumper wasn't factory. There are aftermarket stickers on the underbody engine cover. The drivers side front wheel well is also freshly painted - we can't tell if it has been repaired or replaced. The bolts securing the fender are stainless. Others on the car are painted. Does anyone know what legal options I have in this case as far as getting money back + taxes, or fraud charges?

5.) The dashboard has been replaced. Possible because the airbags deployed. When I start the car (an no one is sitting in the passenger seat) the "passenger side air bag off" light doesn't appear. How can I be sure that there are still airbags in the car? Also, does anyone know if it is illegal to sell a car without airbags?

5.) The compass reads "-- -- -- --". Any ideas here?

Thanks and I look forward to your feedbacK!!

rydwhite

Welcome to Nico. Sorry to hear about your problems. Where about in Indianapolis are you?

It sounds to me like you bought yourself a lemon. Check out this site regarding Indiana Lemon Law. http://www.yourlemonlawrights....QmzoQ

This is a really good example of why you should have the dealer or a mechanic take a look at the car before you buy it.

As for the warranty issues. It sounds to me like the dealer can deny on this since there was an accident and any current probelms sound like they can be attributed to the accident and would not have occured otherwise.

Are you using D&R Keystone for service or Greenwood? I'm a little surprised that they haven't been a little more helpful than it sounds like they have.

rydwhite

FYI

There is a meet in Indy coming this weekend. Check out the link. zer...age=1

ncuster

Thanks for the info. I have spoke with the lawfirm - we'll see how that goes.

I live in Castleton - just across from the Metropolitan Airport. How about you? The staff at D&R in Keystone has been very helpful, but I am surprised by their lack of knowledge on some of the issues (ie the compass and the radiator - they can't guarantee that will solve the problem.)

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Email me your VIN# at [email protected]. I may be able to track down an insurance claim if one was ever reported. This may get you pointed in the right direction which I can explain to you directly later.

As far as your warranty, they need to be able to find the problem first. Unless the coolant has air pockets, then I doubt a flush and fill would solve the problem. You can probably find a much better deal then $400-500 to flush and fill your cooling system as well. A question I have is if there is an actual cooling problem. OBDII codes can be triggered by faulty, or damaged wiring as well. Could have been damaged in the accident.

The technician should be able to determine if the sensor that's triggering the code is faulty or not. He should also be checking to make sure the ECU is receiving the correct signals(indication that the wiring may be a problem). A technician should not be recommending a trial and error method without some factual base at the minimum. Demand they locate the actual problem. They may have to charge you for the diagnosis, but you can usually apply that towards the repair. If they are intent on the flush and fill, ask them if the engine is actually running too hot and how they know this.

Honestly, I think you're being taken for a ride. A flush and refill is a relatively simple procedure and at $400 to $500 for it, they are making a lot of money for little actual work. Parts cost is pretty low too. I had a dealer try to get me to put all factory parts back on a car once just to rule out an electrical short. They gave up asking when I started to grill into them about how they think it even had anything to do with it. They called back and said they found the problem an hour later. And once they do find the problem, they can confirm if its actually an accident related issue or not.

rydwhite

C-Kwik is headed in the right direction with this. I've heard some other stories about D&R Keystone taking advantage of some situations like this. They should be able to give you better answers and a little more direction than what you've said they've given you. If you don't get better service at the Keystone location try the Greenwood location. I've been treated great at Greenwood and I know several people who live north, but get serviced in Greenwood. John Stevenson is the Infiniti service rep at Greenwood and he will treat you really well.

D&R is a bit pricey.

I live on the southside just off of SR37 and Southport Road. We have a few members located on the northside.

ncuster

Thanks for the info

Any idea if the OBDII throw a code if there weren't any airbags in the car?

They ended up dropping the price quite a bit. It totalled up as $220 w/ $180 labor.

rydwhite

I really have not clue about the airbag issue. How can you tell if your car actually has airbags without taking the damn thing apart or wrecking it?

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I believe anyone with the proper scan tool can run a diagnostic. If it's not working, the diagnostics would fail. You can usually tell visually by looking at the dash and steering wheel(depends on how good a dash repair they did, but if the repairs are being skimped on, then this probably will too). I am helping my cousin find a new car and we came across a 98 prelude whose airbags had been put back in and sealed back up. As soon as I noticed it, I told him we were leaving. Didn't even say a word to the salesman.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”