Cheapest scan tool that can put Rogue Select in re-learn mode? (tpms)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

Hi everyone,

I kind of screwed myself by having a tire shop install OEM (pre-programmed) tpms sensors when I got new tires a week or so ago. I had thought that by purchasing made-in-japan OEM style (pre-programmed) sensors that it would be better and easier since I thought you would only need to assign the new sensor I.D.'s to the vehicle. I don't think they re-learned these OEM style sensors to the BCM correctly as my TPMS light always comes on after the first few days.

I was EXTREMELY wrong and made a huge mistake I guess in not just having the tire shop use the universal sensors they are used to scanning/programming? Long story short, it is not simple to put the Rogue Select into TPMS re-learn mode like the slightly older Nissans.

Is there an inexpensive scan tool that can put the Nissan into re-learn mode? I have OBD Fusion but even the advanced enhancement on it is just diagnosis. I would think that to put a vehicle into re-learn mode, the scan tool must be bi-directional?

The technical job step from Nissan is to use a Nissan Signal Tech 2 or Consult scan tool. I obviously can get the transmitter activation tool as those are the cheap tools you can buy on Amazon and ebay. But to put the Nissan Rogue select into re-learn mode before you "wake up and transmit the sensor ID's) to the BCM/ECU, this is the difficult part. It used to be easy on Nissan's as you simply ground out the TPMS connector manually to put the car into re-learn mode but I have been told by experts this is impossible with Rogue Select.

I was thinking rather than pay a shop to unmount the new tires and new sensors, I need to try and re-learn the new ones I got. I doubt the sensors are bad. They are from Rock Auto, not Amazon so they must be genuine Denso.

thanks for any advice

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's no "relearn" when you use the Tech-II or Consult, you just upload the ID's to the scanner clockwise from LF and then write them to the BCM through the OBD port. If the tire place wrote the ID's but they aren't being retained, then there's a problem with your BCM. If the lamp you're getting is solid and not blinking but there's enough air in all the tires, then it's a problem with the pressure sensing in one of the new modules, not an ID problem. Any other issue in the system will cause a blinky lamp for about a minute after you start, that means a failure that isn't pressure-related (usually a sensor that isn't talking or has a low battery).

RickFlorida

Thank you. This is helpful.

The last set of TPMS sensors (original to car) were working perfectly before I had a tire shop put in my OEM new ones from Rock Auto. So I can't imagine the BCM/ECU happened to fail right then as that would be really weird coincidence.

So my original theory is that the corporate tire shop does have bi-directional scan tools to put cars into re-learn mode, but their Autel provided transmitters only can read and transmit the universal sensors that they supply. And then the technician simply cleared my code and didn't say anything and then my TPMS warning light came on later.

Yes, my TPMS sensor light is solid. (Flashes for 60 sec. or so when you start car then goes full solid).

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Your TPMS light would have come on (blinking) as soon as you drove the car if the sensors weren't registered, not two days later. 'Fraid that isn't it. The 60 second blink means there's a non-pressure issue, probably one of the new sensors is defective.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:42 pm
Your TPMS light would have come on (blinking) as soon as you drove the car if the sensors weren't registered, not two days later. 'Fraid that isn't it. The 60 second blink means there's a non-pressure issue, probably one of the new sensors is defective.
Agreed^^^ once you hit something like 30 KM/H the TPMS should start flashing if there was a relearn problem when you left the shop.
My interactions with Rockauto TPMS sensors have been 50/50. Total of 6 good branded names and only 3 were working within a span of 4 months. Even threw the working ones in the trash.

I have the Autel ts508 for my vehicles, works great so far. Cost me about $125 last year from fleebay.

RickFlorida

Thank you everyone.

I appreciate your help. Sounds like you guys are probably right. Since my TPMS warning light didn't come on and then go solid until 3 or 4 days of driving, one of the sensors must be bad. Plus I had my mechanic try to get these sensors working and light still came on. So if the second shop could not get them to work, I guess all or some of them are bad.

I will just have my repair shop install different sensors of their choice and then I'll return the bad ones to Rock Auto.
Thank you. But this is the first time I've ever had bad parts from Nippon Denso. They were made in Japan and have a 10 year battery. Do you think Rock Auto is getting counterfeit parts like you see on Amazon? It's too bad Hitachi of Japan doesn't make TPMS sensor. I've never in my life had a Hitachi part made in Japan fail until after many, many miles.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

The problem with rockauto is you don't get refunds, only exchange warranty, from my experience anyways. If not oem from dealer, I get autel cloneables.

RickFlorida

I have an update. After I took my wife's Rogue Select to a repair shop that does a lot of volume, they have the Denso sensors I bought from Rock Auto talking to the Rogue's ECU/BCM and working so far. They were going to put OEM Nissan sensors from the dealer but the shop is really honest and tried to see if they can program the ones I have that are supposed to be new Denso ones from Rock Auto and they said they were able to be programmed. They didn't know for sure what was wrong before.

I don't think it's a coincidence though that the first shop that tried to do it is a small corporate tire shop that usually just clones universal tpms sensors so they probably have different steps when you clone universal ones to a car than using OEM pre-programmed sensors.

Return to “Rogue Forum”