SR20DET - cheap tuning priority list

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
jongonzoS13az
Car: 90 240sx

so i have this 90 240sx completely stock and i dont have tons of cash on hand but i make good money so i can do like 500-1000 a month for upgrades. looks is the last of my priorities i want to know whats a good list of what to get first and add to it month by month. im thinking swap first to sr20 then intercooler, exhaust, then turbo upgrade then radiator, suspension.. i could be way off! just let me know if you have any ideas. thanks

respek

95silvia14
Car: 1995 240SX, 1993 s13 coupe

if i were you i would do suspension first, then engine swap and so on

efrain240sx
Car: 1992 nissan 240sx HB

I second that, power is no good if you cant control the car

brianboy240
Car: 1990 s-13 hatch

i kinda did it a little backwords, i did an sr swap with a stage 2 clutch and radiator (electric fan are key!) but i havent driven it yet and im hoppfully getting full coilovers for x-mas. just my particular route, not that i don't agree with 95silvia14 cuz i understand what hes saying.

i guess if you do power first just don't really beat on it untill the body is stable enough to handle it. but its really in personal prefrence

i also don't care about the body too much..sleeper enyone?!?!?! hehe

jongonzoS13az

yeah i think ill do that before the turbo upgrade.

brianboy240

jongonzoS13az wrote: so i have this 90 240sx completely stock and i dont have tons of cash on hand but i make good money so i can do like 500-1000 a month for upgrades. looks is the last of my priorities i want to know whats a good list of what to get first and add to it month by month. im thinking swap first to sr20 then intercooler, exhaust, then turbo upgrade then radiator, suspension.. i could be way off! just let me know if you have any ideas. thanks

respek
just so u know an intercooler upgrade would be ussless without a turbo upgrade becuase of the piping, it would only bring like 2-6 hp tops. i already looked into it. for the money you spend you might as well wait untill u get a turbo upgrade kit.

after i stabilize my frame and body and whatnot im going to upgrade my gaskets and a nice turbo kit upgrade. kit includes an intercooler, bigger turbo, new manifold, better piping, full gasket set and what not.

if i were to take the few things u listed up top and rearang them, this is how i would do so...sr20, exhaust, radiator (with electic fans), suspention and then the turbo upgrade kit witch includes the intercooler.

again thats just my 2 cents...what does everybody els think?

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

brianboy240 wrote:
just so u know an intercooler upgrade would be ussless without a turbo upgrade becuase of the piping, it would only bring like 2-6 hp tops. i already looked into it. for the money you spend you might as well wait untill u get a turbo upgrade kit.
LOL nononono.

Edit: Put your hand on the "coldpipe" of a SMIC and then the coldpipe of a FMIC. You will be able to discern why that statement is incorrect.

CMG
Car: 1989 240sx Hatch w/ Redtop

Well, if you're filthy rich and don't give a f**k about money do whatever you want, otherwise be smart about it and upgrade the stuff appropriately. Is your KA blown? If it has life on it then replace other necessities. You have suspension/steering, brakes, drivetrain, cooling, etc. Inspect the car and replace things that are more needed first, not what are more wanted. Consolidate for best results.

jongonzoS13az

no its a 90 SOHC

CMG
Car: 1989 240sx Hatch w/ Redtop

jongonzoS13az wrote: no its a 90 SOHC
Well, I once had a SOHC that I fixed up everything else on and didn't touch the engine cuz it was fine. Did new brakes, steering rack, clutch cylinders, LSD, suspension, etc. Engine had over 200K and more to go. Then, I bought another SOHC with a blown KA and swapped that out to SR, and I'm upgrading parts as needed in a consolidated manner to make sure it's done right the first time, and saves time and money.

brianboy240

i had a SOHC too, but myn was kinda crappy and going to die soon so thats y i did the sr (and for the power). but i mean if i had a good engin and it proformed the way i wanted i woulda started with other stuff too. i accualy wanted to do coilovers first.but if i ever get my hands on another 240 im ganna get an s-13 with a ka24 DOHC and make it look nice then maybe rebuild the engin with a turbo.

Return to “Engine Tuning”