cheap free and ghetto mods

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
armory240
Car: cars sk8 boarding

does any body know of any way to "fix" you car to get a little more hp when your broke like cutting the bottom of you air filter off leaving just enough to hold it on or whatever you can think of to help flow, cooling , fuel air mixture or anything else

EyeStabPeople

i was JUST about to post the same thing, come on lets hear some answers! :)

bruinbear714

Get:

1) electric supercharger u see on ebay.2) Advance Timing Kit on Ebay.3) Tornado fuel saver "As Seen On TV"4) Z-max system, also "As Seen On TV"5) a 3 foot tall spoiler6) and finally, 15 stickers - they give you 1hp each.

SpeedingMonk
Car: drifting, nissans, and keeping all other cars behind me

i hurd vtec stickers give u 5hp per sticker

"is there an end to all sho no go hondas?... nope"the only thing u can do is lighten ur car the only thing free n e way...

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

14" tach with 9000 RPM redline baby! at least it seems like your car is at that RPM... there are no real "ghetto mods" every damn thing costs money, and a lot at that, especially if you only work on weekends because you're a student. I'd make my own custom intake if I were you, its cheap and relatively effective. try advancing your timing a bit too

Good240
Car: Cars, Music, Movies

I advanced my timing 1/3 of the adjustable range on the distributor giving big seat of the pants gains. The gains appear at any engine speed and make no hearable differance. You can advance it further but it doesn't give any gain I can feel and it isn't as smooth when you're running down the street at a constant speed. It feels like there is a little stutter in it if you advance it too far but when you're foot is in it, it's excellent. I'd have to say it gave at least as much as the intake upgrade.

My cars has aftermarket cams, Intake, and exhaust so you might not find this to be equally effective on a stock 240SX, but hey it's free. Don't b**** about it.

Good240
Car: Cars, Music, Movies

If you advance the timing in some instances it'll ping (meaning the explosion is fighting the piston's upward movement rather than helping it's downward movement). usually 90-94 octane may be neccessary if you advance it too far to avoid pinging.

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

when will people learn?theres no magical button thats hidden in the car, and you dont press it to gain 50hp. you spend money on parts, install them, AND THEN you get more horsepower. the rest of us dont have secret solutions that are hidden in the car. you have to buy parts.

bruinbear714

ninjak84 wrote:when will people learn?theres no magical button thats hidden in the car, and you dont press it to gain 50hp. you spend money on parts, install them, AND THEN you get more horsepower. the rest of us dont have secret solutions that are hidden in the car. you have to buy parts.

Yup. If you want horsepower, you will either have to 1) get down and dirty and change out the parts yourself, or 2) pay shops money to do the install for you.

I'm talking about major mods like headers, cams, pulleys, etc etc and not just the usual intake/exhaust.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Timing does wonders... little things like removing the resonator and ripping the lower portion of the air-box off exposing the panel filter works good for throttle response. You can gut your cat yourself. You can always rip out crap you dont need. For instance the speakers, rear upholstry, rear seats, trunk upholstry and board, hood upholstry, and the spare tire.

Then you have cheap mods:

MAS adapter and open filter - $50 for a K&N+AdaptorBreather Tube Removal (PCV valve) - $10 for Breather FilterRemoval of Mechanical Fan - $3 if you dont have wire and a grounding loopClean out crud from Throttle Body - $1.50 for carb cleanerClean MAS - Free ... cause you already have carb cleanerClean IAA Valve - Free... see aboveCold-Air Ram - $10 worth of materials from Home Depot

Thats about all I can think of at the time.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Again I must elaborate ... these mods wont make your car a beast but will make it run noticeably better.

armory240

go ahead and lighten your car even further take out the heater core/ passenger seat if your not hauling around ppl

armory240

ive even saw a friend take a pipe he found in the street bend it a little and viola a cold air tube now just get the filter

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

armory240 wrote:go ahead and lighten your car even further take out the heater core/ passenger seat if your not hauling around ppl

you wanna talk light? talk to Russ from Atlanta, he went as far as to pull out the wiring harness because his custom one weighed less........

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

Movingviolation240 wrote:you wanna talk light? talk to Russ from Atlanta, he went as far as to pull out the wiring harness because his custom one weighed less........

Hope Russ doesn't mind me putting his picture up here.

Here is an underhood shot of Russ's lightweight car.

wanabe240esx

that is sick, you should worry more about the DMV seeing that tho lol

numatik
Car: cars

So, is it quick?

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

numatik wrote:So, is it quick?

Russ's? I've heard its very quick. The thing only weighs ~2615 and he has ~160 hp to the REAR wheels. That's a decent combination to say the least.

AEROdOUT240SX

i just thought of a free, but loud and illegal mod. take off your exhaust and run open headers. you will lose some low end , but your top end will be very nice.

armory240

cheap free and illegal mods

wanabe240esx

does anyone know of how i can get in contact with Russ? i just had a couple of questions, nothin major

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

Also you can strip off un-needed stuff, Like egr, bunch of vaccum lines/valves etc. etc. Just be sure to plug off the vaccum lines when u take them off.

numatik
Car: cars

Does removing all that stuff AIV,EGR,PCV etc really give HP/mileage gains? Oh, and by the way I don't care about emissions so thats not an issue. All imput is appreciatedThanks

SRJesse
Car: Cars, hockey (roller and ice)

I think its about a 2-5hp gain, depending on engine. There is a resonator box underneath of the left front side fender well. You will have to take fender inner cover, held in by clips and screws. There is a foot long black looking rectangular shaped box that comes down from the intake. Remove that, thats it! Have fun, and then buy a SR20DET after you realize that wasn't a big enough upgrade!

cndctrdj

ninjak84 wrote:when will people learn?theres no magical button thats hidden in the car, and you dont press it to gain 50hp. you spend money on parts, install them, AND THEN you get more horsepower. the rest of us dont have secret solutions that are hidden in the car. you have to buy parts.

my ta has a few free mods that give 10 dynoed hp at the wheels ram air, a throttle body coolent bypass, deleteing the resonator, cutting out the air filter box. im sure with a lot of research you can find something that will give you an edge. im not trying to be a **** or anything im just saying that people find wierd stuff in wierd places and thier could be something out there.

YomnyM

Can anyone elaborate on the coolant bypass to the throttle body mod, and about that resonator what exactly needs to be done and does anything need to be plugged or covered?? Thanks alot, im not trying to go the cheap way, im already going to get the SR20 soon but just wanted to enjoy this engine for a bit

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

the resonator box.

you need:ratchet10mm socket

pop your hood and look where the y-thingy for the airbox is. notice one of the tubes goes down through the metal.get on your back, and look at the big black box that the tube plugged into. unbolt from car, remove. that's it. no need to plug it, unless you drive in 3 feet of water.

YomnyM

How about to by pass the coolant lines, what exactly do i have to do for that. By the way thanks for your info.

Timos240
Car: '95 240sx not quite stock,

I advanced my timing 1/3 of the adjustable range on the distributor giving big seat of the pants gains. How is this done? Where can you get this done?Any special parts? Tools?

Evil98Silvia

AEROdOUT240SX wrote:i just thought of a free, but loud and illegal mod. take off your exhaust and run open headers. you will lose some low end , but your top end will be very nice.

Thank this guy when you do this "mod" and you catch your car on fire towards high RPM. People just get a job and buy parts. If you have a crappy job and scraping your way through, then sell drugs, jk. But doing cheap mods and ghetto rigs wont do you any good, maybe make you look like a ricer, make your car louder, and after working on your you THINK its faster but its just in your head. If it was free to improve your cars performance, then they wouldnt make aftermarket parts.

Robbie

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”