Cheap Craigslist 350z - worth it?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Maxim
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx 2+2 N/A

Hi everyone, first off thank you for taking a look at my post. Please excuse any/all incorrect formatting. I am looking for a reliable daily. The problem is I do not have the funds right now to go out and purchase an expensive one. I would like to drive something I don't mind beating up a bit. And I love the 350z. I found a supper cheap one on Craigslist. I was wondering what the cost of this repair would be. I'd like to do it on my own. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/5588324665.html
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

You're looking at a new engine. If you don't have the skills, a shop with a hoist, and time, it'll be expensive.

You want something to beat up and save money for now? Buy a used Crown Vic Police Interceptor from a nearby auction and they're rock solid in dependability. They go for $1-5k in conditions ranging from abused to mint. Save up for a proper, working car in the mean time.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

^ This

To add to what AA said, a new engine is the minimum you're looking at. Odds are that an owner that let an engine get to the state this one got to cut corners elsewhere and you're going to start finding all sorts of other issues.

Life is too full of headaches already without buying one from someone else.

Here's the other thing, they're not cheap to own & maintain if you don't cheap out. I've spent as much on my car this year (clutch, exhaust & new tires) as you're looking to pay for this one. Don't risk putting yourself in a financial bind.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”