Changing the bulbs inside Xterra dash switches.

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

A while back there was a post on the trucks forum about changine the bulbs inside some the switches on the Xterra and Frontier. The swtiches I tackled for this article are as follows. the HAZARD, REAR DEFROST and REAR WIPER switches. The only tricky part of this process is taking the switches apart without breaking the tabs that keep them together. If you happen to have a set of jewelers screw drivers or strong tweezers like I did the disassembly does go smoothly.The Rear Defrost Switch has 2 bulbs inside. One is a dash light, the other one is the power indicator.

This one is the Hazard Switch and has a single bulb. ( That tiny blue thing )

And this one is the Rear Wiper Switch. This one is made of thin plastic and may break while taking it apart. I cracked this one a little on a lock tab so be careful when attempt this one.

Here's our new bulbs. ( around $5.00 for both packs of 2ea)

To give you an idea of just how tiny these things are....well you get the point.

The bulb fits in this silicone/rubber grommet.

The excess wire is looped through this grommet and then the tails get cut off. The wires hold the bulb in place, and the grommet fits over the contacts inside each switch.

Reassembly is very simple but takes patience as there are some small parts inside that might pop out of place.

ITEM TO BE AWARE OF:

Some of these small bulbs have a blue filter fitted over them and this may be a slightly stuck to the old bulb. I was able to roll the filters off without ripping them and they fit perfectly on the new bulbs.

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

Excellent writeup! I would love to see some pics of it lit up

-Dan

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”