Certified Car Purchase Expectations

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
lardog
Car: G35

If I purchase a certified car from a dealer, what should I expect besides the extension of the warranty and the dealer completing their famous certification 'checklist' ?

- Nav system update?
- Full tank of gas?
- Full detail job?
- ??? (anything?)

Since I've never purchased a CPO before I'm curious what everyone's experiences are!
(I'm considering a 2012 M37, but I don't find many except at the dealers, especially w/low miles)

Thanks

coolchuck
Car: 11 M37s, 04 E55

- Nav system update?
No, nav updates arent covered by warranty
- Full tank of gas?
Yes your dealer should do this as courtesy
- Full detail job?
Probalby but not part of being certified. and some dealers are better than others detailing cars for delivery.
- ??? (anything?)
Loaner car for service/ warranty work
roadside assistance

I say go for it; nothing like having that extra piece of mind.

dmclone
Car: 2011 M56x

One big plus that people often overlook is that they usually do the next big service. So if you have 22k miles on your car they should do the 30K mile service, which can save you some coin.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

you will also get a n oil/filter change, if the tires are not OEM then dealer must change them up for a CPO, engine air filter and cabin filter will be inspected and changed if dirty. The brakes will also be inspected and replaced if close to end of life.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Just food for thought and to show there are other options out there. I'm on my second M purchased at CarMax in Florida. One was purchased in Boynton Beach (West Palm Bch area) and one was purchased in Pompano Beach (just north of Fort Lauderdale).

CarMax:
- Nav system update? NO ( I've never heard of any dealer doing that)
- Full tank of gas? YES every car leaves with a full tank
- Full detail job? Both cars were detailed by hand at time of purchase- on my latest car, they found a tiny chip in the paint near the sunroof and fixed it while I waited.
- Loaner car? My car is serviced ONLY at my local Infiniti dealer and I get a loaner when needed even though it was not purchased from them and does not have their extended warranty.
-Car Wash? YES - every time Infiniti works on my car (even an oil / filter change) they wash it before returning it to me.

CarMax also does a very thorough inspection prior to putting any car on the lot. If it doesn't pass inspection, it goes to auction - same as the Infiniti dealer. The big difference is in the warranty at CarMax. It covers more than the extended warranty sold by Infiniti and it costs less. Example: My 09 M35 had low 20's mileage at purchase in Sept this year. For an additional $2100 I got a warranty that lasts 60 months or a total of 150,000 miles. So ... I have 130,000 miles or 5 years of warranty and the items covered don't drop off as the car gains mileage (even the new car warranty at Infiniti has different limits on different parts). MaxCare covers everything but tires, brakes, belts, etc. On my previous M35, the starter decided jam up and stay ON and it fried the wires and fuses on the (+) battery cable while draining the battery dead. It covered towing to the dealer, inspection of the electrical system, and replacement of all the parts damaged. All I paid was a $50 deductible and a pro-rated rate for the new battery. Maxcare pays for anything that goes bad and anything else that bad part damages.
For any repair, the Maxcare warranty has a ZERO deductible at any CarMax dealer, or a $50 deductible at any other place including the Infinti dealer. It also covers me on the road at ANY shop in the US and provides road-side assistance anywhere.

The down side is this: Very few M's to be found at CarMax, but if you find one, even if it's at a CarMax in a different state, they will transport it on a flat bed to your local dealer. You are NOT obligated to buy that car after transfer, but the transport fee is non-refundable. The other down side is that both M's I have purchased could be had for less at regular car dealers or private parties, but the amazing warranty offered makes up for that difference in my opinion.

Bottom line is that I get the CPO treatment, a better warranty, and still get the excellent service provided by my Infiniti dealer. You can stop by any CarMax and get brochures that explain the inspection process and provide warranty coverage details. My first stop with the new M was my local dealer for an oil / filter change and the complimentary inspection that comes with it. They were able to pull up records such as which dealer sold the car originally and a service history for my car. It had NO bad marks, and the only recommendations for me were fluid changes and front brakes in about 4,000 miles.

NoTalentLoser

Larz wrote:Just food for thought and to show there are other options out there. I'm on my second M purchased at CarMax in Florida. One was purchased in Boynton Beach (West Palm Bch area) and one was purchased in Pompano Beach (just north of Fort Lauderdale).

CarMax:
- Nav system update? NO ( I've never heard of any dealer doing that)
- Full tank of gas? YES every car leaves with a full tank
- Full detail job? Both cars were detailed by hand at time of purchase- on my latest car, they found a tiny chip in the paint near the sunroof and fixed it while I waited.
- Loaner car? My car is serviced ONLY at my local Infiniti dealer and I get a loaner when needed even though it was not purchased from them and does not have their extended warranty.
-Car Wash? YES - every time Infiniti works on my car (even an oil / filter change) they wash it before returning it to me.

CarMax also does a very thorough inspection prior to putting any car on the lot. If it doesn't pass inspection, it goes to auction - same as the Infiniti dealer. The big difference is in the warranty at CarMax. It covers more than the extended warranty sold by Infiniti and it costs less. Example: My 09 M35 had low 20's mileage at purchase in Sept this year. For an additional $2100 I got a warranty that lasts 60 months or a total of 150,000 miles. So ... I have 130,000 miles or 5 years of warranty and the items covered don't drop off as the car gains mileage (even the new car warranty at Infiniti has different limits on different parts). MaxCare covers everything but tires, brakes, belts, etc. On my previous M35, the starter decided jam up and stay ON and it fried the wires and fuses on the (+) battery cable while draining the battery dead. It covered towing to the dealer, inspection of the electrical system, and replacement of all the parts damaged. All I paid was a $50 deductible and a pro-rated rate for the new battery. Maxcare pays for anything that goes bad and anything else that bad part damages.
For any repair, the Maxcare warranty has a ZERO deductible at any CarMax dealer, or a $50 deductible at any other place including the Infinti dealer. It also covers me on the road at ANY shop in the US and provides road-side assistance anywhere.

The down side is this: Very few M's to be found at CarMax, but if you find one, even if it's at a CarMax in a different state, they will transport it on a flat bed to your local dealer. You are NOT obligated to buy that car after transfer, but the transport fee is non-refundable. The other down side is that both M's I have purchased could be had for less at regular car dealers or private parties, but the amazing warranty offered makes up for that difference in my opinion.

Bottom line is that I get the CPO treatment, a better warranty, and still get the excellent service provided by my Infiniti dealer. You can stop by any CarMax and get brochures that explain the inspection process and provide warranty coverage details. My first stop with the new M was my local dealer for an oil / filter change and the complimentary inspection that comes with it. They were able to pull up records such as which dealer sold the car originally and a service history for my car. It had NO bad marks, and the only recommendations for me were fluid changes and front brakes in about 4,000 miles.
Larz, just wanted to ask about something here out of curiosity. When you say that Carmax and Infiniti dealerships send cars to auction that don't pass inspection, do you know what would cause a car to not pass inspection? For example, if the Nissan-Infiniti corporate lease return division is selling a car at a Mannheim auction, is this an indication that there's something fatally wrong with it, mechanically speaking?

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

Broken coil springs, tie rod ends, control arms, bad tire tread, worn brake pads, are among inspection failure causes which are quite easily fixed, and which will probably be fixed by a dealer if the potential selling price is high enough. But if the car is older, high mileage, and the asking price means a poor profit margin, the car probably heads to auction.

Mjkkb2

With respect to CPO (certification), the car that doesn't have verifiable maintenance records will not be certified. Also, excessive mileage for the age will disqualify it as well as any accident, theft, fire, on the record. Also a vehicle with a special use title (taxi, rental etc) will not be eligible.

coolchuck
Car: 11 M37s, 04 E55

Most dealers buy those off lease cars from the auction and certify, of course if they meet the criteria .Lease cars usually have their maintenance done through a dealer as part of the lease agreement .

securityguy
Car: 2012 M37x

A CarFax report, supplied FREE on every CPO car will tell you a lot...leased...purchased...rental. In addition, the CPO cars come with a 6 year / 100K bumper to bumper Infiniti Factory Warranty from in service date. No need to buy an extended warranty...BIG waste of money. My car was in service on Feb 2012. I bought it in June 2014 with 22K miles. I, therefore, have until Feb 2018 and I don't keep cars that long anyway.

Larz

Actually, that is not quite accurate. The CPO warranty is NOT 'bumper to bumper' and does not cover items like electronics, NAV, suspension, stereo, DVD player and entertainment systems, AFS headlamp system, etc. It's mostly an engine & drivetrain warranty .... and only if you have receipts for every required scheduled maintenance. So .. if you don't have the cooling system serviced as scheduled - no coverage for air conditioning system, radiator, etc. I'm not poo-ing on Infiniti warranties. In fact most CPO warranties drop lots of covered items that applied to 'new' vehicles.

Here is the actual CPO warranty that lists covered items, non-covered items, and the ways Infiniti can deny coverage:
https://owners.infinitiusa.com/content/ ... verage.pdf

lardog

Wow, the Certified warranty DOESN'T cover a lot. And add to that, it is NOT transferable to a new owner.

Given this, I don't feel there is a lot of value in the warranty unfortunately (not 'none', just 'not a lot'). To know the reason I don't feel there is a lot of value in it, you have to know where I'm coming from. My 2003 G35 went 163,000 miles with no repairs. Not just the engine/drivetrain - NOTHING.

But I do think that the highest quality used cars are with the dealers. Added to that, try to find a 12/13 M37 outside of the dealers. Not a lot out there. The dealers have almost all of them - like it or not.

It does look like Infiniti offers a more comprehensive warranty. It's called 'Elite Coverage'.

- transferable
- 120k miles
- covers electronics, audio ("most"), nav

I have no idea what the cost would be or even if they offer it on used cars though. I'm not sure I'm interested in that, but someone else might be.

Mjkkb2

That's some good info Larz.
It is my opinion that the elite coverage is a better value than the. CPO.

The only exclusions are the maintenance items, leaks, wind noise, rattles, bulbs, belts etc.
Electronics, nAV are covered and it only cost a nominal fee to transfer to new owner.
It is still overpriced if you get it from the dealer. A little bit less overpriced if you get it from the wholesale dealer. Plus, let's not forget there may be a deductible ($100) if that' the option one chooses. With all that said, I chose to spend the money and we shall see how I come out at 118000 miles.

Mjkkb2

lardog wrote: It does look like Infiniti offers a more comprehensive warranty. It's called 'Elite Coverage'.

- transferable
- 120k miles

I have no idea what the cost would be or even if they offer it on used cars though. I'm not sure I'm interested in that, but someone else might be.
As long as the new car warranty hasn't expired you can purchase the elite plan

Larz

I agree, Mjkkb. My Maxcare warranty from CarMax runs rings around the CPO warranties, It lasts through 60 months / 150,000 miles but .... It was an extra $2100. CPO warranties are 'free" (but partially included in the higher price you pay over the non-CPO cars).
I just can't see buying a car with all this technology and expensive electronics without having some kind of coverage if they should go belly-up. With the quality that our M's are known for, I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but it only takes once to ruin your day. I have an 09 M that is covered for another 125,000 miles or another 5 years - whichever comes first, so my car will covered until the 2019 / 2020 models come out.

When my 07 was totaled, I didn't expect to find another used M that I liked. The local dealers had very few to choose from and none of them were fully equipped. CarMax usually has a few, but they don't stay long and they had none I liked. In fact I had a used jag already picked out when CarMax called me about this 09 that just arrived. If he hadn't called, I would be in a Jag today and hoping mine was one of the rare ones with no issues, LOL.

NoTalentLoser

lardog wrote:Wow, the Certified warranty DOESN'T cover a lot. And add to that, it is NOT transferable to a new owner.

Given this, I don't feel there is a lot of value in the warranty unfortunately (not 'none', just 'not a lot'). To know the reason I don't feel there is a lot of value in it, you have to know where I'm coming from. My 2003 G35 went 163,000 miles with no repairs. Not just the engine/drivetrain - NOTHING.

But I do think that the highest quality used cars are with the dealers. Added to that, try to find a 12/13 M37 outside of the dealers. Not a lot out there. The dealers have almost all of them - like it or not.

It does look like Infiniti offers a more comprehensive warranty. It's called 'Elite Coverage'.

- transferable
- 120k miles

Just out of curiosity, what went wrong with your 2003 G35 at the 163k mile mark?

lardog

Funny that you ask (I was wondering if anyone would).

A solenoid failed that adjusted the timing of one of the camshafts. $325 to repair, part + labor (not at the dealer).

First year G (2003) and that is the only thing in 12 years that has failed. Amazing. Amazing. Now I'm waiting for the solenoid on the other side to go :)

I'm looking at BMWs now, and the cost is scaring the heck out of me. The car is 20% more expensive, depreciates like mad, and maintenance is more expensive. Coming from reliability like this (my G), I'm having trouble going that route, but I do like the car. I really don't like dealers and I'd prefer not to know my service adviser by name.

Did you know that a 10 year old honda civic LX has a higher value than a 10 year old 3 series? (both 120k miles).

One way to go is to buy at CARMAX. I've checked around and their extended warranty is good like Larz mentioned - covers nav and audio, which is unusual. Another route is to buy the BMW extended warranty (also covers nav and audio (as of 1/2014)). But with a BMW, even a good extended warranty doesn't eliminate all of the (high) maintenance costs (example, $450 a tire, and the rear tires need replacing every 15k miles!!).

Another route is to buy an M and don't worry about it.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”