Central Air Unit Not Cooling House

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
BrendanMowgli
Car: 1

I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside (can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

You need a freon recharge.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

random first rfi is random?

NICOclub=Nissan Infiniti Car Owners club, NOT National Ice Cold Offices club.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

"I'll take the rapist for $200 Alex."

"That's therapist, Mr. Connery."

tiger-SE-R
Car: 2006 Altima SE-R / 2002 Xterra / 1974 Datsun 610/ Suzuki GSX650F - "Put a Tiger in Your Tank"

^ lol

http://www.hulu.com/watch/7336...pardy

OP, not sure why u posted this in a car forum, but your compressor could have been hit by lightning. You might luck out and have your homeowners insurance cover it.

480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

BrendanMowgli wrote:I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside (can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!
DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AS WELL. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT I THINK I KNOW

OK. First things first, your saying that you only have one unit working but the other one is ok? Were they working at all this season?

There is a few things that could cause this. A loss of R-32, or refrigerant, is the most common cause of this situation. The initial loss of refrigerant is cause for some concern, but not an excessive amount. You are more concerned with how fast its leaking out, and if an immediate repair is needed VS just a recharge.

However, with a system like AC there are multiple possible culprits for your problem. You COULD have a bad compressor, if the unit is old or you bought crap and or got unlucky. You COULD have simply a condenser thats plugged so full of crap that its fans cant push air through it to cool the low pressure side of the system. You COULD have a stopped up A coil from crappy air quality among other things.

You could also have something like a faulty control unit, faulty wiring, some default 'non op' mode going on, ect ect. There are so many different types of AC now with so many different things built in, its impossible to know what other possible causes of your situation could be.

Do this with EVERY AC breaker and control unit off... First, do the things that you can do. First, go to the Central air unit in your house and remove the paneling until you find the A coil. It shouldnt be hard to find, its the 'heart' of the AC system. It looks like 2-3 big a** oil coolers set up in a triangle, you can find pics of them online. Just make sure the fins are clean and unobstructed. Do the same with the condenser with a flashlight, make sure you can see light through the fins. You might have to do a little disassembly of the outside AC unit to do this.

Ultimately if you come up empty, call a HVAC guy to come out and simply do a recharge. See where that gets you. Stick a thermometer in one of your vents after he charges it and record the readings as much as possible so you can get a feel of your system, watch to see if it is losing refrigerant. IF the loss of refrigerant is your problem. If its something else, bend over.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

He joined just to post this.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

snwbrdr435 wrote:So who are you?

PoorManQ45

^^ that is badass!!!

PoorManQ45

Spammer!!!!!!!!!

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

atleast it was posted in the proper forum...

Return to “Around the House”