CD20 Crankshafts

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Hello All,

It has been a while since I've last created a topic, but I am in search of two CD20 engines or Crankshafts. I have two project engines that I would like to complete, but trying to find a good 87.6mm or custom 88mm forged crank is impossible, ridiculously expensive or quite difficult to get custom units made because the crankshaft grinders basically needs blueprints or whatever. Anyways, I know Tommy was doing a CA21 project years ago, but I haven't a clue how that turned out. Trying to get creative in my older age, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Disregard guys. I just purchased 3 of them, so I'm good in this area.

dash
Car: s13 ca18

where do you find three CD20 engines/cranks and so fast ? :chuckle: :)

what are you after with a 'stroked' CA...... more torque for street use ?
Looks like you've 'cracked the code' for a hot street CA18 long ago

boost_boy

I found them in Greece. They weren't cheap, but it's like whatever at this point. I have two brand new factory CA20 short blocks that I purchased years ago to start my experimental CA20DE build. I sourced new custom billet rods and decided to go with some custom Honda CRV pistons and rings to compliment the build. The issue was the cranks and the difference in crankshaft timing sprockets. I was going to get some machining done of the CA20 sprockets, but my machinist took too long which gave me time to think. And seeing that the CA20 has an 88mm stroke, I started inquiring about some 87.6mm billet cranks. The prices are ridiculous at over $1800 for that heavy-a** crank, so thought about the CD series. And seeing that guys like float, Tommey, datso, and the themadscientist, have physically touched this holy grail of crank, I figured this will be the cure for my need of a competent crankshaft.

The blocks had been prepped years ago, but I just didn't have the time to play with anything CA related. Kids are grown now and one has a degree, so I'm back on the builds and willing to spend whatever it takes to perfect them. As for my many different stages of CA18s, I am very happy with them. The stage 4 engine in the sentra is quite over-kill for anything street related. I have been driving it around lately and let's just say I toggle between 13 and 32psi of boost. Absolutely scary power in that car. I don't think I have the nerve for it anymore.

dash

I remember 2 different CA diehards way back on nissansilvia.com saying their 2.0L CA builds were not worth it
Performed 'well', but difference was so minimal. Both eventually went SR20 (some pretty nice builds too)
All across the board, the 'stroked' versions of anything don't seem to perform any better
...like the VG30 vs VG33, or the DSM 2.0 vs 2.4 for instance, to name a few
Outside of a more robust/broarder torque curve, for daily street use... the effort/expense seem nullified :gotme
All extreme samples (at the track), remain at their original displacement

Your 'hot' CA18 builds already look like they make more power than you can use on the street realistically
So I was just curious of your build philosophy
Share your build/recipee..... pix, short vids. or whatever. Still some of us old relic junkies around

Izento
Car: RPS13

Will be cool to see how this progresses. Like Dash said, I don't think stroker kits are typically worth it for the money. I think even the RB26 kits are probably the best and most tried ones since HKS came out with a complete kit, but other than that, it's nice to spend the time on it just for s*** and giggles, as you very well know.

It's kind of weird because now cars are so heavy that when someone hears you have 300 hp, it's not that impressive, and even when you tell them the weight of the car, they don't know how to judge it all. A b12 is stupidly light and even just 300 hp is dumb ridiculous. An S13 semi-stripped is about 2700 lbs and still rips with just 300 hp.

dash

Some 'strokers' seem to deliver. Worthwhile once you take budget into consideration
Toyota 4AG 1.6L comes to mind. 1.8 versions built using cheap/available 7AFE fwd rolla/prism bottom end
LOTS disappointing outcome due to incorrect crank/valve timing.... but once in sync, they rip. All levels
I posted one such 1.8 street rolla here @500hp+ atw, stock 4AGE head
Another supercharged use 1.8L bottom end/stock rods/factory GZE cheap supercharged pistons. Bigger 1400cc blower
At extreme end, mini datsun pickup powered by 1.8 hybrid(7AGE we call em), did 7sec 1/4 mile on stock leaf spring rear

A buddy full street RB26 S14 5spd ET 6.8sec 1/8th - stupid quick, pulls hella hard (only mild 260 cams iirc)
Imported a RB30 bottom end > built + same top end. Says torque difference is "astounding". No comparison

Izento
Car: RPS13

dash wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:19 am
Some 'strokers' seem to deliver. Worthwhile once you take budget into consideration
Toyota 4AG 1.6L comes to mind. 1.8 versions built using cheap/available 7AFE fwd rolla/prism bottom end
LOTS disappointing outcome due to incorrect crank/valve timing.... but once in sync, they rip. All levels
I posted one such 1.8 street rolla here @500hp+ atw, stock 4AGE head
Another supercharged use 1.8L bottom end/stock rods/factory GZE cheap supercharged pistons. Bigger 1400cc blower
At extreme end, mini datsun pickup powered by 1.8 hybrid(7AGE we call em), did 7sec 1/4 mile on stock leaf spring rear

A buddy full street RB26 S14 5spd ET 6.8sec 1/8th - stupid quick, pulls hella hard (only mild 260 cams iirc)
Imported a RB30 bottom end > built + same top end. Says torque difference is "astounding". No comparison
Reminds me of my buddy who had a AE86 supercharged. Never got to figure out the full spec of it, but the car ripped. We were going to drive it from NC > WA State, but he said he would just have it shipped. So we drove his FD3S up instead, which I flew down to help him drive up, so we would have driven 2 cars instead of 1, but would have been slower since we both would have been driving separate cars. Still pisses me off because the AE86 got repo'd because it stayed in the same parking spot for too long on a military base.

boost_boy

dash wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:09 pm
I remember 2 different CA diehards way back on nissansilvia.com saying their 2.0L CA builds were not worth it
Performed 'well', but difference was so minimal. Both eventually went SR20 (some pretty nice builds too)
All across the board, the 'stroked' versions of anything don't seem to perform any better
...like the VG30 vs VG33, or the DSM 2.0 vs 2.4 for instance, to name a few
Outside of a more robust/broarder torque curve, for daily street use... the effort/expense seem nullified :gotme
All extreme samples (at the track), remain at their original displacement

Your 'hot' CA18 builds already look like they make more power than you can use on the street realistically
So I was just curious of your build philosophy
Share your build/recipee..... pix, short vids. or whatever. Still some of us old relic junkies around

I am going to do my best to document these CA20 builds and provide as many pics, vids and share whatever I can, fail or success. I appreciate your appetite, knowledge and experience and if I can, I want to add an experience or two to your vast library of experiences. So let's begin:

S13: CA18DET "Dee-Built" with 83.5mm OEM pistons and rings, crank cut (I forget the size) and polished, stock rods, NISMO head gasket, ported and polished 8 port head, Tomei valve springs, 3 angle valve job, JUN camshafts 268* with a 9mm lift, 12lb. flywheel, sprung clutch, SDS EM4F, 1000cc injectors, NISMO FPR, stock intake manifold, stock throttle body, custom exhaust manifold, Ebay 50mm Knock-off HKS Race Gate, Garrett GT3582R EBAY FMIC, KOYO radiator (I think), Greddy Type R BOV, a short shifter, a very quiet HKS exhaust, and a viscous LSD. Huel pump will be upgraded to a 535lph unit as soon as it gets here.

Power output: 535whp @ 27psi on 93 octane.

Car also has a functioning JDM digital climate controller and the A/C is still charged and cold after nearly 13 years. Just a quiet car to drive that also has Recaro seats. I'll take photos of this stuff one day :rotfl

1988 B12 Sentra 4-dr: CA18DET "Dee-Built" with 84mm CP Pistons, crank cut (I forget the size) and polished, PAUTER RODS, Cometic head gasket, ported and polished 8-port head, Tomei Valve Springs, 5 angle valve job, Tomei Pro solid cams 270* with a 10.25mm lift, 13lb flywheel, sprung clutch, SDS EM4F, 1000cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, 70MM billet Throttle body, custom exhaust manifold, EBAY 50mm knock-off HKS Race Gate (Love 'em), Precision PTE 6235 Billet GT35R, massive custom FMIC specifically for the B12 sentra (extends from headlight to headlight), 3-row KN13 Pulsar radiator, Flex-A-lite individual slim fans, custom Pulsar/Maxima gearbox with LSD and custom axles, short shifter, 525lph fuel pump (very much needed), Blitz NUR spec exhaust (too much drone), modified 2002 nissan sentra SPEC-V seats, and sentra/sunny RZ-1 front clip which looks hard on the sedan.

Both cars are an absolute blast to drive and both vehicles boost duties are controlled by Blitz Dual SBC boost controllers. We'll talk more about what stage these engines are in their current state ;)

dash

525whp on pump gas, stock pistons is great. Good tuning as you always stress
custom units from clutch house, or off the shelf ?
what intake manifold on the sentra ?

FWD look like it has the slightly more aggressive setup. This B12 seems really unique
A good bit of effort here. Each, or they deserve a separate thread.... with this text and pix
Tough enough to keep up with one hot rod let alone two
Respect :chuckle:

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

That Sentra is infamous from back in the day. I had a friend take a ride in it and afterwards he told me, "I've been in some fast cars. But that thing is not only one of the fastest cars I've ever been in, but for sure the scariest." LOL!!!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”