Cat Back Exhaust for '01 QX4

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
QX4Pgh
Car: Gearhead

Can anyone point me to the supplier of a performace Cat-Back exhaust system that will fit a 2001 QX4.

Thanks in advance.

QX4 Pittsburgh

larryt
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4X4

Try HKS. As of at least a few months ago, they made a stainless bolt-on. They went for around $600, give or take.

leeQX4
Car: 04 I35/03 G35

I would have said stillen, but i don't know if they still carry them, that's where i got my original exhaust from.

Go custom!:ylsuper

larryt

I called Stillen months ago and they had already stopped production. As for the HKS, I just did a couple of searches and can't seem to find one for either the Pathfinder or QX$ with 3.5L. Maybe just call HKS directly.

QX4Pgh

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to both HKS and Stillen. Stillen has discontinued its system for the QX4/Pathfinder. The guy from Stillen checked other mfgs (Flowmaster, Gibson, etc.) amd could not find any offerings. He indicated I will need to get a custom fabricated system.

I note that the stock system has two "chambers" behind the cat. Which one is the resonator, the front (under the passenger floor) or the rear (behind the rear axle)? Do I need to replace both? Any suggestions on a muffler that will provide increased flow and better sound while not turning my QX4 into a "buzz bomb"?

QX4Pgh

leeQX4

QX4Pgh wrote:Any suggestions on a muffler that will provide increased flow and better sound while not turning my QX4 into a "buzz bomb"?QX4Pgh

Get one 2-2/2-1 magnaflow/flowmaster muffler, 2.5 piping all around, upgrade both catalytic converters to race cats or free flowing cats, get rid of the other muffler at rear axle, do dual 2.5 pipes to the rear, get magnaflow (or whatever brand you want) resonated tips.

There you have it, no drowning sound, no ricey civic exhaust, just a clean sounding exhaust system that sounds like the fx35/45 g35 coupe exhaust. :cool:

larryt

What kind of exhaust tips are those? They look pretty similar to the ones HKS was using on theirs.

BTW, finding a shop to do a custom job isn't too tough, but I was really looking for a pre-fab because they are typically mandrel bent, and some are stainless. I've only found one shop that does mandrel bending in my area and it adds about $145 to the job, and that's for a single out exhaust.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough demand for these systems, as the big manufacturers don't seem interested (especially with a new Pathfinder coming out). I actually almost got one of the companies to use mine as a test vehicle for a system, but they really wanted a 2004, and mine is 2002.

JeffinSC

They can use my '04. Who were you talking to?

larryt

Gibson. They are located in Southern California. The deal as I understood it was that I had to drop it of for three days while they tested various mufflers and sizes, then they would recommend the best and I could keep it. If remember finding the info on their website before I called them to discuss.

QX4Pgh

Thanks for the helpful discussion. I am still unsure of the purpose of the first "muffer" under the passenger floor vs. the second one behind the right rear wheel. Do I need to replace both "muffers" with aftermarket "high flow" units to get increased flow/sound, or just one. If one, which one?

QX4Pgh

larryt

The way my local muffler shop explained it to me, the larger muffler under the passenger floor is the only muffler you need and should replace. The rear "muffler" is nothing more than a resonator to kill sound and make it run quieter. All of the systems I have seen and installers I have talked to replace the big muffler and run a pipe(s) straight to the rear, eliminating the resonator.

QX4Pgh

Thanks, larryt. Now the $64K question. I note that the QX4 front muffler acts as a "y pipe" as it accepts inputs from each bank with a single output. Do you know of any aftermarket muffler that is a direct replacement? Or- do I need an exhaust shop to fab a "y" and install a "generic" muffler? I do not want to mess with the dual heat shielded pipes from the cats back.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

BTW:

If you arew looking at a custom set-up w/o breaking the bank.Ask BRM about it. They are a sponsor here and have made custom exhausts before.Tho these are more $$ than an off-the-shelf unti, it might be worth checking out, maybe not as much more than you'd think.

They have a great rep here on this board, our house-brand , so to speak:http://www.brmusa.com/

Fred..:yesnod

leeQX4

larryt wrote:The way my local muffler shop explained it to me, the larger muffler under the passenger floor is the only muffler you need and should replace. The rear "muffler" is nothing more than a resonator to kill sound and make it run quieter. All of the systems I have seen and installers I have talked to replace the big muffler and run a pipe(s) straight to the rear, eliminating the resonator.

I was going to chime in but, i see larryt has this all undercontrol. Listen to him, he is correct about everything concerning the exhaust. The last muffler located at the rear axle doesn't really need to be there. I don't know why nissan did that. Maybe to muffle the sound a little. All of the aftermarket exhaust (before everyone stop selling them) remove the last muffler and replace it with straight pipes.

QX4Pgh

After an exhaustive search, I have confirmed that there is no cat-back exhaust system currently on the market for my QX4. I am not interested in doing a "custom" system. Question- will replacing the rear resonator with a straight pipe improve the sound- or I am better of leaving well enough alone?

QX4Pgh

QX4Pgh

Anybody out there?

usc45
Car: 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG

i've looked myself to no avail. custom seems to be the only way to go if you want a performance exhaust

QX4Pgh

I had my local muffler shop fab me a custom pipe to replace the resonator and welded on a neat two outlet "Y" (big but not too ricey) tip I obtained from Ractive. Looks great but the sound is no better. Next step is to replace the stock two pipe inlet / one pipe outlet stock muffler. Can someone recommend a muffler(s) that would provide a nice / thoaty Z-car like / non-ricer / non-buzzbomb sound?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd recommend one of the Magnaflow units. Great sound, quality and fitment.

QX4Pgh

Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. I will explore Magnaflow.

Chedman13
Car: 2003 Infiniti FX45 AWD VK45DE

Try a Dynomax Superflow (part 17740)

"The Dynomax has 2 - 2.25 inch input and a whopping 3 inch output. I chose to continue with the 3 inch tail pipe with no resonator.

The results is a mellow deep rumble during acceleration. While cruising on a steady speed, the exhaust is barely noticable. I had done no pre-modification quantiative measures, time acceleration, etc. However, the truck seems more responsive."

Some guy tried it out. here is a pic

Chedman13
Car: 2003 Infiniti FX45 AWD VK45DE

another pic

QX4Pgh

Chedman13,

I can't seem to locate the muffler that you pictured. Can you suggest a mail order supplier that can supply the muffler? The part number you gave does not seem to be correct.

QX4Pgh

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”