Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT fluid

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Dremb
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue
2019 Nissan Rogue

Hello Folks!!

Getting close to my 2019 Nissan Rogue transmission fluid change. Came across this new product, Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT, which is universal and works for both kinds. (Automatic transmission and CVTs). In fact, its application is broad, including NS1-2-3. I have always been warned and reminded about using the absolutely correct NS-#, and if possible a Nissan brand CVT fluid. So, what's happening now? Is this Castrol fluid trustworthy to replace my NS-3 fluid? Has anyone used it before? Does Nissan approve this product? (prolly not considering they want you to buy their $20/qt fluid). Any suggestion? I kind of want use this product.

Thanks!!!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Dremb wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:39 pm
Hello Folks!!

Getting close to my 2019 Nissan Rogue transmission fluid change. Came across this new product, Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT, which is universal and works for both kinds. (Automatic transmission and CVTs). In fact, its application is broad, including NS1-2-3. I have always been warned and reminded about using the absolutely correct NS-#, and if possible a Nissan brand CVT fluid. So, what's happening now? Is this Castrol fluid trustworthy to replace my NS-3 fluid? Has anyone used it before? Does Nissan approve this product? (prolly not considering they want you to buy their $20/qt fluid). Any suggestion? I kind of want use this product.

Thanks!!!
Castrol and its ATF products are popular among nissan drivers and have often been substituted for nissan matic S and the like.

But I look at the product sheet for TRANSMAX® ATF/CVT UNIVERSAL and includes a lot of specs including some that are not CVTs.I get a bit suspicious when I flui tried to be a jack of all trades as the friction modifiers to name just one are often different.

Why not go with Castrol Transmax CVT its anotehr product form the same maker it likely costs the same and it is made for CVTs only.iT als carried Nissan NS1 NS2 and NS3.

But perhaps its best to wait for our resident Guru VStar to chime in.

The above are just my therortical considerations he has tons of practical experience with these vehicles.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PalmerWMD wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:29 am
But perhaps its best to wait for our resident Guru VStar to chime in.
I have no customers using it and I've only seen one post (on another forum) about someone using it. That was in a gen5 Altima and the poster expressed no issues, but I'd say the case is out. The Transmax CVT seems to be a good product by all accounts, so if you want Castrol, I'd say stick with Palmer's suggestion and go with that.

Dremb
2019 Nissan Rogue

Thanks both of you.

I had a similar thought when I saw the broad range application.
I'm thinking of sticking with the Valvoline CVT. It applies to all NS-1/2/3, that although strange (considering Nissan makes hell of deal about using very specific number (1,2, or3).

Any of you have any feedback on the Valvoline?

Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I've had two customers use Valvoline, one was attempting to save a dying tranny so I don't think that counts. The other told me he thought it actually made his tranny noisier (which is hard, NS fluid is pretty noisy stuff). That's subjective, but it's the only feedback I have. My personal go-tos if I had to buy it (which I don't, I work at a dealership and there's always NS3 laying around) would be Eneos Eco and AMSoil, in that order. My only knock on AMSoil is the red color, but they're both excellent fluids and both run quiet as a church mouse.

Dremb
2019 Nissan Rogue

Thank you sir. I will keep that in mind. Appreciate the feedback!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I used castrol in my wife’s 07 Murano and it’s still running around my smallish Ohio town, well over 300k. I use eneos eco for my 09 and eneos Nplus for everything else. I tried valvoline in my 09 and can confirm it will make your tranny louder. I can’t imagine that’s a good thing but there’s lots of people running it with no trouble. Napa sells eneos so it’s easy to get and I’m pretty sure that they manufacture ns3 for Nissan. Both the eco and nplus are rated for ns2 and 3 according to their website and are blue in color. Red cvt fluid tends to scare people.

Svtrit

I’ll be doing my first 30k mile change in a couple of weeks an have OEM oil on the shelf. The only thing that oil will hurt is my wallet.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

PalmerWMD wrote:

Why not go with Castrol Transmax CVT its anotehr product form the same maker it likely costs the same and it is made for CVTs only.iT als carried Nissan NS1 NS2 and NS3.
I have been using the Transmax CVT only fluid for 4-5 years. 2 Drain and fills. Zero issues.
i recently bought out the local auto parts store when I saw they had it on closeout and marked down to $6/qt. That leads me to believe Castrol will no longer make their CVT-specific fluid if they are now making something 'universal'. I also would have strong reservations using something that claims to be 'universal' for both CVT's and non-CVT's. But I'm not an engineer. I have enough on hand to do one more D&F in another year or so, then we likely will have traded it in before it needs another one. If not, I will probably be looking at another product, not the Universal stuff.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Lone Wolff wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:50 pm
PalmerWMD wrote:

I have been using the Transmax CVT only fluid for 4-5 years. 2 Drain and fills. Zero issues.
i recently bought out the local auto parts store when I saw they had it on closeout and marked down to $6/qt. That leads me to believe Castrol will no longer make their CVT-specific fluid if they are now making something 'universal'. I also would have strong reservations using something that claims to be 'universal' for both CVT's and non-CVT's. But I'm not an engineer. I have enough on hand to do one more D&F in another year or so, then we likely will have traded it in before it needs another one. If not, I will probably be looking at another product, not the Universal stuff.
Nice to ehar you got a good deal! :yesnod
No worries there will always be good stuff to buy on CVT fluid. They are not Going away.

Return to “Rogue Forum”