Castrol Magnatec engine oil and transmission rant

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
zba2a
Car: Infiniti QX80

I just wanted to talk about oil changes. I change the oil on my '14 QX80 every 2000-2500 miles because I don't drive it much. It usually takes about four months to reach that mileage.
I have been using Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 and Bosch 3233 oil filters. Anyway, I kind of wish the newer engines were not direct injection, because this system puts a lot of soot in the oil rather quickly. Valve buildup and other problems related to direct injection probably won't matter to most owners, but I like to keep vehicles for a long time (I have a 2002 Chevy truck with 376k miles).

I will probably have a lot more problems out of the transmission before I do the engine, considering it is a sealed transmission with "lifetime fluid." It really irritates me that this vehicle does not have a transmission dipstick. On my Chevy I can simply suck 4 quarts out out of the transmission dipstick tube and pour fresh fluid in every several thousand miles. This process is extremely simple, and you know there is clean fluid in your transmission.

primov8
Car: '14 QX80
aFe Mach Force-Xp SS catback exhaust
aFe Momentum GT Pro Dry S CAI
aFe Silver Bullet TB spacer

My '14 QX80 is now my daily driver and like you, I'll keep a vehicle for an extended time as long as I like it and can maintain it for the long haul. Maintenance wise, the QX80 isn't really that difficult just because it has a GDI motor. An easy way to maintain/clean the valves is using the CRC GDI intake valve cleaner. I've done it already and will be using it again on the next oil change. Just scroll down to post #9.
https://infinitiforum.net/infiniti-foru ... hp?t=14320

I had an 04 Armada (207K+ miles when I sold it last year) and the ATF dipstick and filler tube in the engine bay was a huge plus. Of course, I was disappointed that wasn't the case with the QX80 but it does require a bit more effort to drain and fill the ATF. I'm about to hit the 45K mark on the QX80 and will be doing an ATF drain and fill in about two weeks. The AT pan does have a drain bolt and an overfill bolt; with the overfill bolt removed, that is where ATF is pumped into the transmission pan.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”