case fan direction

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
suby01
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35x

does it make a difference in which direction the case fan is blowing air, inside the case or should it be blowing air out of the case. i have one 120mm fan in the front of the cas blowing insideand two 80 mm fans in the back are also blowing insideis there a way to get better performance? one way better than the other? thanks

teddy
Car: Saab Turbo and MR2

I believe you want air flow in the same direction. There are some cases that are designed to move air from back to front, but most flow better with air moving from front to back.

You'll also see cases with slots for fans on the side. I've tried switching between exhaust and intake and didn't notice any big difference between the two. What kind of case do you have?

suby01
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35x

i dont really have a good description of it but heres the link to where i go it from. dont know if it helps.

http://ascendtech.us/itemdesc....RLGHT

like i said it has a spot in the front bottom for a 120mm and two spots in the back for 80mm and all of my fans are facing inward.

teddy
Car: Saab Turbo and MR2

Do you have a temp monitor, whether it's an external device or a program? If not, you should be able to find some kind of freeware. I would do this, check what your current temps are, then take those 2 80mm fans in back and flip them so they're pulling air out of the case and see what kind of difference you get.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

The usual approach is:

1. Fans in front pull air in to the case.2. Fans in back pull air out of the case.

This allows for airflow through the case, which is what you want for optimal results. I suppose you could reverse the direction of both too, so the air flow comes out the front, but I'd rather have the warmer air going out the back!

The point is that the hot air inside the case must be dumped out ... all fans sucking air in to the case is not correct, even if you have other "exhaust" vents.

Z

PoorManQ45

szhosain wrote: I suppose you could reverse the direction of both too, so the air flow comes out the front, but I'd rather have the warmer air going out the back!

Z
With a standard ATX motherboard it's recommended that you use a front to back air flow design.

This allows the rear fans to suck the hot air directly from around the CPU heatsink/fan.

Also, the PSU's fan blows out the back. If you have the rear fans sucking in you will end up sucking in the hot air that the PSU is putting out.

For side window fans i've personally found that using this as an exhaust causes more noise then when used as an intake.

A note: you generally want more CFM on the intake then the exhaust. This causes a slight pressure in the case which is said(haven't tested it personally) to reduce dust/dirt intake

240Knightrider

Or you can get one of these

http://www.ultraproducts.com/p...ID=68

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

PoorManQ45 wrote:With a standard ATX motherboard it's recommended that you use a front to back air flow design.

This allows the rear fans to suck the hot air directly from around the CPU heatsink/fan.

Also, the PSU's fan blows out the back. If you have the rear fans sucking in you will end up sucking in the hot air that the PSU is putting out.
Good points.

Note, however, that BTX motherboard designs - like on the current-gen desktop Dell systems - the warm airflow goes out the front after going over the processor and heatsink (that are all located near the front of the case).

Much of the back of the Dell case is a mesh screen, so it probably avoids sucking in the warmer power supply air - certainly not enough to matter.

Z

Return to “Computers / Electronics”