Carry gun, convince me what I should get

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

That's a damned practical revolver right there. The weight sucks to carry, but I bet it aids recoil a bunch. I would feel better being able to get a full grip on that when shoot 357, but it would likely be no issue at all firing 38.

I carried the XD-m for two days in a desantis cozy partner IWB holster and I don't think I am going to be able to make that work. The holster is impressive and the gun just small enough to work, but because I am fat my waistline is wider than my hips so my pants keep sliding down. Getting in and out of a car is clumsy to. I have to unholster getting in and reholster getting out. I am jumping on line to look for a shoulder holster or a crossdraw.

I would like to palm a Taurus 24/7 G2, but honestly, it fits the same profile as the XD-m so I don't think I can get one yet. I need my 1911 and a smaller gun for times when neither of the "larger" guns would fit.

I'm still keen on getting a PM9 in my hand. Despite my displease with the P380, I'll give it's "big" brother a chance. Since you have one you might be able to answer this, Ankle holstered PM9, will it be comfortable? I'm about 5'10" with a size 9 shoe. You seem to be much bigger than that and might be able to manage it better than me.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I've yet to hear someone actually liking a 24/7 or having good luck with it.

check out the Kahr CW series.

priced nice and light and slim for carry. I wouldn't ankle carry the PM9, try a good pocket holster or a get a Crossbreed Mini Tuck. a fully loaded PM9 isn't heavy at all though. The recoil on the small pistol is very maneagable too. Once you get gripping it down, it's pretty easy to shoot fairly quick and on target.

The CW's allow for a full grip though. All of them have that same buttery smooth trigger.

The SP101 is a very tame gun for it's size when shooting full house .357 magnum.

Go to a shop and handle one. while heavy, a good holster and belt will make it very pleasant.

I do have to tuck my pinky under the grip with it, but it's still not too bad on the hand and accuracy is very acceptable for a small defensive revolver that doesn't really have much more than a front blade for sights.

try one of these for the XD.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

If you're not a member on XDtalk.com yet, I suggest joining it. Fantastic forum for shooters.

Just so happens The owner of Crossbreed now owns the forum.

themadscientist

I have a supertuck for the 1911. When they both arrive I will introduce them. It cradles mt 5" airsoft 1911 great so I expect the 3" real gun to be similarly comfortable.

themadscientist

Well, the PM9 is too thin. It feels only marginally better than the P380. My palm of my hand is not in contact with the side of the grip unless I squeeze the crap out of it. It's unnatural and I know it's going to shoot poorly for me. I loved the grip on the K40 and would still check an MK40 if I could find one, but the polymer Kahrs are off the list.

The micro desert eagle felt much better, but I haven't found anyone with firsthand experience shooting one. I'm not dropping 4-5 bills on a mystery gun. I wish I could find a range with a rental gun to shoot, but that's a not going to happen. I don't like any of the other small guns out there. Ruger makes a sexy 1911 and some of their full sized pistols are attractive, but all their little guns are fugly, The other pocket pistols like the NAA and Diamondback are also hideous. I checked a Glock 27 on my ankle, it's still too big to work I think. I still like and want a Glock 23, but I don't see strapping any of their guns to my ankle.

I think I may have seen a Colt Mustang at a shop. That might pass on thinness unlike the Glock, but be too heavy like the Glock. The search continues. Supercarry is on the way to the FFL for me to pick up. I'm pumped! :woot:

Mr1der

try a Sig P238.

It's essentially a Colt Pony.

I have no idea why you want an ankle holster though, they lead to slow draws and sciatic nerve pain.

I like the NAA Guardians. Based on a tried and true design (Seecamp) They're just too small for my hand, I know I'd get some wicked slide bite with one.

The Ruger SR1911 is a good looking gun. I was glad to see them bring it out. Try a Ruger LC9 yet? They're a little bigger than the Kahr.

The PM9 is very small, but it's an easy gun to shoot well. I'd wager my hands are a good bit bigger than yours and I do fine with the little guy.

it's hard to tell how well you'll like a gun until you get to put about 100 rounds downrange though.

themadscientist

The XDm was one round, love it. The P380 was one round, hate it. The P238 is fugly, not to mention that had that annoying problem of them going off after dropping the safety. :ohno:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService ... lerts.aspx

I've pretty much given up on a BUG. Nobody makes one I am pleased with. I'm heading to a gun show next week and I will be looking, but I don't think there is one out there for me.

FFL has my Kimber, off to the store then to the range with the brothers and the lil .22 woohoo! :mike

Mr1der

what about a Smith and Wesson J frame?

.38 Special snubbies have been fillying that role for a long time.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

I picked out an lc9 in sept. Works great for pocket carry.

themadscientist

Mr1der wrote:what about a Smith and Wesson J frame?

.38 Special snubbies have been fillying that role for a long time.
I don't like revolvers for carry. I've pretty much given up on the BUG.

I took the Kimber to the range. It's a beautiful gun and while it is heavy being a full stainless gun, it's really small. I can just get my whole hand on the grip. :bigthumb:

I expected problems and I had a few. I had a recurrence of failures to feed. I would blame me, but it was on the 3rd or 4th round every time and with both 185gr and 230gr. I got one tac mag with the gun which is supposed to be the better Kimber mag. I have heard many tales of guns that like certain mags and it's not always the same type of mag from gun to gun. It seems like 1911s all have a personality of their own. I'll pick up a Wilson Combat and see if it does better.

Near the end of the 200 or so rounds I ran through it, as it started to get dirty, it was hanging up when trying to strip the first round off a full mag. On the slingshot no problem. That and the two failures to go into battery I am blaming on the barrel's feed ramp. My XD-m's ramp is mirror-polished, the Kimber, less than that. I'll get in there and shine her up a bit.

The good news, this little sumbitch is accurate! All the hits off target were my doing. When I did my part, this little 3" barreled pocket rocket would punch paper dead on at 7 yards. I might try pushing it out further next range visit, but I was impressed. It spits the .45 rounds with greater composure than the XDm does .40, and that's saying something because the XDm is a purring kitten even with 180gr pills in rapid fire. If your natural point of aim is correct you can zip through a mag without catching much more than a glimpse of the sights.

I'll tweak and punish the Kimber some more to see if I can eliminate malfunctions, but I was wise to pick up the "Toyota Corolla" for carry; the XDm is really impressing me. If the 1911 can't be trusted, I'll still be happy about it, I just wont carry it.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Mr1der wrote:try a Sig P238
I was going to suggest this given TMS's (apparent) preference for 1911 style controls, except that the 238 is that 9mm Kurz(ed) round. ;)

The P290 is at least 9mm, but it's also fairly new so who knows what gremlins might be lurking there.

And not that I'd ever consider it a BUG, but if the PM9 was too small for you TMS you could do a 180 and check out Beretta's PX4 subcompact...that's a chubby little gun.

themadscientist

I love the look of that gun, but the flip up to take off the safety is counter intuitive. I am use to flip down being a 1911 fan. I'm afraid I'd have a brainfart and fail to turn the gun on. I wish I could hurry up and get the Kimber running reliable. My holster for it just arrived and that little thing just disappears compared to the XDm.

I think the P380 or a PM would work if I could fatten the sides of the grips up so I am in contact with the whole grip. Na, I still hated the trigger.

Mr1der

try one with a Hogue handall jr on it.

or look into a CZ Rami in 9mm (the 40's seem to give issue)

themadscientist

Back from the range with good news. I picked up a Wilson Combat mag on the way and loaded up some hardball. The first string with the WC mag and a F2F on the same round as before. :mad:

It had to be me so I did a tap-rack, assumed a more aggressive stance and went at it again. No more trouble. About 50 rounds in I brought the Kimber tac mag back in and started running them both with no more malfunctions. I still think the feed ramp is a little rough and still intend to give it a polish. I do think I was at least part of the problem and need to make the commitment to a stronger hold in practice and I think the gun is starting to break in. I put about 100 rounds through it today before a chewed up 2" circle fell out of the target.

I feel a lot better about the Kimber as a carry gun now and will be using it as my primary. The SA nature still makes me a little nervous, but the XDm just doesn't work with the current holster. I'll keep trying new methods to carry that, but for now the supercarry in on my hip.

snwbrdr435

Friend i got my para from ( i know para) had similar issues to you mike. He replaced all the internals still had trouble with it and to top it off when he shot it got slide bite every time. I ended up with it and have put over 2250 rds through it without a single failure. It is super accurate clay pigeons at 75 yds

Mr1der

were you limpwristing or slide riding it?

if he's getting slidebite, it's gonna be harder for it to go back to battery as it's losing a lot of momentum.

snwbrdr435

Not sure what he was doing. Could be a case of limp wrist. I have never had a problem with it and trust my life with it.

themadscientist

Got some pics of the toys!

The XDm40

The Supercarry .45

Dey buddies :biggrin:

Mr1der

I so like little .45's.

I may get one of the RIA Officer's models....after I get a nickel plated .38 Super of course.

looking at Super ammo prices, it's really not much different then getting .45, just harder to find local.

themadscientist

A new member of the club!
:dogpile:

I finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a Glock 23.

It's a real b**** to rack the slide and it's heavier than you would expect.

It's Gen 4 and I see a few improvements. The doubled up recoil spring is beefy as hell and sure to make an already smooth-shooting .40 even more so. I think the weight is definitely due to this and possibly a beefed up slide.

The rough texture finish is not necessary IMO. I never had a problem holding on to Glocks or any other gun save for mouse guns, but while the first RTF Glock I held was downright sharp, this one seems to have the tips on the polymids knocked down. The additional grip additions are cool I guess.

I know interchangeable backstraps are a must have these days for some people, but I have never grabbed a so-capable pistol that needed whatever was on there out of the box switched to feel perfect. Perhaps my hand is "normal?"

It does feel like the trigger is a bit closer, but again, it was never a problem before. The mag release is reversible. That I like because I often have trouble hitting a standard release with my thumb. I was pleased to hear this and saying how I would likely switch it for that reason when the salesman mentioned the larger release on the Gen 4. It was just the thing I needed to be able to pop the mag out without shifting my grip so no need to flip it!

Mine came with three mags, nice, and was a bit more expensive than the Gen 3 I was coming in to buy, but it IS a better gun from my perspective and satisfies my needs better so I went with the new school machine.

I'm off to the range on Saturday to run it and see how she shoots. That's kind of like giving a hooker money and wondering if you are going to have sex, but hey, it's new, it may malfunction; I gotta check. ;)

Mr1der

If I ever get a Glock, it'll probably be one of their 10mm's.

won't ever tell someone not to buy one though!

Damnit, then I went and read this...

http://www.gunblast.com/10mm.htm

I need a Glock 29.

ADDirishboy
Car: 2008 Nissan Titan Pro4x

Mr1der

Took them long enough...

I need to find one in a shop now.

next thing I do will probably have my SP101's cylinder sent to TK conversions for machine work to take moon clips

themadscientist

I'd really like one of those.

Mr1der

The XD-S or an SP101?

I can't recommend an SP101 enough. I don't think there's a better built snubby .357 Mag

I'll have to molest the XD some...haven't been in a shop in a few months though and SA takes forever to get their new s*** out the door.

themadscientist

The XD-S. I love my XD and I love .45. It's like I'm about to bang Eva Mendes and she asks if Elizabeth Hurley could join us.

Mr1der

fair enough.

I too enjoy my XD-45. It's been a solid pistol. I wanna try some .45 Super out of it!

Mr1der

You see the Sig 938 yet?

9mm version of the 238. I've not messed with one in person yet...

themadscientist

I have not liked any Sig pistol I have shot. Well, my 556 is technically a "pistol," but really. They are all pretty guns with evident quality, but all display recoil above what is necessary to fire the round. I've been spoiled by the Glock and XD and expect that sort of smooth recoil from everything I shoot. Even my .45 Kimber Ultra feels more composed than the 2022 I shot.

Mr1der

it's the retarded high bore axis they have.

the 938 is based off the old Colt Pony.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

You moved up to a full size yet? :)

Just picked up a full size Ruger SR40 for my self last week. Now if I could get a loan for ammo.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”