carbureted vh45de?? ?

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
RatRod45

In the next few months I'm going to start looking for a vh45de to play with. I'm goin to try and strip it of everything it doesn't need and try to fit a carb to that thing. I've found all sorts of posts about everything else but putting a carb on one of these. I know they're a D.I.S. and that can add to the difficulty and a few other things as well. I was looking at a GM Ls set up that used a carb and started thinking. I think the biggest help around the Ls set up was the MSD and a few other things I can't remember at the moment. Also the biggest piece to the puzzle is a carb intake, seeing I'm not a welder I may have to find someone to make me one or build one out of butchered stock intake and some jbweld LOL!

I've been looking on the boards all over the net and seen something about a 96 model year vh being a better option to carb due to lack of the vvt . I'm still poking around at this idea. I'm a ratrod guy at heart. It's bare essentials or nothing LOL!

Every vehicle I've ever had has been obd1 and stripped of mostt/all emissions stuff and even switched power windows to manual if I could find the parts. Something about the idea of a carbureted vh45de intrigues me.

Any advice is welcome!

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO!

That sounds like a pretty cool idea for a build. What type of car are you planning on putting it into? Or is it just a conversion? Does your state bust your balls with inspection (if you even have it?)
I've got nothin' in regards to advice, but would be thrilled to see what you do with it on a build thread when you get it together!

RatRod45

frapjap wrote:Welcome to NICO!

That sounds like a pretty cool idea for a build. What type of car are you planning on putting it into? Or is it just a conversion? Does your state bust your balls with inspection (if you even have it?)
I've got nothin' in regards to advice, but would be thrilled to see what you do with it on a build thread when you get it together!
Thanks! ( now the forum let me sign back in) I've got a long way to go. I've been looking at other engine set ups and think I found a "starting point". I wish I understood more of the wiring and electronics part to dissect it. I seen a wiring set up for the ford 4.6 dohc engines to swap it to carb, but it comes with a sensor or 2 that I'm not sure would relate to the vh45de. I'm trying to figure out "on paper" before I start spending money on electrical stuff. I think the wiring system was once again a MSD set up. How would I go about measuring the sensors and wiring conversion to make sure it would match up circuit wise? As in I probably would clip off one side of the plugs (engine/conversion wiring) then splice in other plugs (from original sensors/ford 4.6 wiring harness etc) to make it a plug and play .
I tried to find some sort of data sheet that would give me an idea of how to test everything to make sure that the sensors were working properly so I know if I could match up the resistance (?) Of the sensors to the spliced in msd donor system.

I hope this makes sense. If a wiring/tuner/electronics guy can throw me a bone I would appreciate it. Maybe my figuring sparks an idea in some of you... if so then by all means have at it and share the info.

I'm not sure what I want to put a vh in yet. I'm more worried about firguring out the wiring/carb problem before I start trying to buy a vh so it's not sitting in yard long waiting on me LOL.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”