carbon fiber hood needs help

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Kujo II
Car: 1990 300ZX N/A 5-speed T-roof (DD), '92 KA24DE 5-speed coupe, and 10 other cars!

Hey, guys, First off, just want to say that you guys have an awesome forum, I've used this place as my go-to guide for my entire 240sx adventure. Now that that's out of the way, I bought as of wednesday a '90 model 300zx 5-speed T-roof. It runs great, and it just had new paint a few months ago. my issue is with the carbon fiber hood. I'm wicked with a paint gun, but I've never dealt with carbon fiber before. The hood was painted matte black, with an asymmetrical stripe on the passenger side left bare to show the weave. It looks s***ty. I wanna take it down to the gel coat and just leave the weave exposed over the whole hood, but I have no Idea how to work it. There are slight ripples in the hood (looks like it was prepped with a DA sander) and one spot where the guy used fiberglass epoxy to fill in a chip in the gel-coat. Don't really wanna spend $$$ on a new carbon fiber hood, but I wouldn't have a huge problem with painting it body colored, so.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: added photos

http://viewmorepics.myspace.co...86365
Modified by Kujo II at 7:15 PM 3/5/2010

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

Just want to say welcome to the forum man! Congrats on your new car.

I just wish I knew much about painting and that stuff. Sorry I can't help ya!

xclusivez32
Car: 1990 300zx 2 seater limo
tt engine build
2004 gmc serria

i dont knw if you can answer me but i was wondering how to paint my carbonfiber hood the color of my car while still showing the weave? as for your problem it sounds like your best bet would be to wet sand it and see how deep the DA went down, and if it cant be fixed you already made it scuffed for some new paint.

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

xclusivez32 wrote:i dont knw if you can answer me but i was wondering how to paint my carbonfiber hood the color of my car while still showing the weave? as for your problem it sounds like your best bet would be to wet sand it and see how deep the DA went down, and if it cant be fixed you already made it scuffed for some new paint.
Mask off the area you want exposed, paint the rest.

If you're asking for body color with texture, you'd have to get a raw weave without the epoxy.

OP, you want raw weave with no gelcoat? Or you want just the gelcoated CF, not painted? Do you have any pictures not on myspace?

Kujo II
Car: 1990 300ZX N/A 5-speed T-roof (DD), '92 KA24DE 5-speed coupe, and 10 other cars!

Just a clearcoat/gelcoat over the weave. I don't have any pics hosted elsewhere, and I can't figure out how to upload images from my comp.

EDIT: Got off my lazy @$$ and got a photobucket account. This is what I'm working with

Clear as mud? I wouldn't mind taping off a different design, and doing the rest of the hood body-colored, but A) it was recently repainted and I don't know if its the original color or not, and B) I have to figure out how to get it prepped before I can do anything....

Just not a fan of asymmetrical designs...
Modified by Kujo II at 10:05 PM 3/9/2010

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”