CARB legal turbo!!

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
KArookie

Ok, so I was looking into something to try and help people from CA turbo cars since I am one of them. So I was looking on the ARB website for anything CARB legal for aftermarket and was reading a few different things. We all know that CARB is just out for the money and so far no company wants to spend the money to get a turbo kit cleared for sale for the KA motor, or most any other motor for that fact. When it comes to swapping a different motor into a car, as long as the motor is from the same or newer year car of the same make and has all the smog stuff on it then it is good to go. From what I have read (and it is still a bit unclear) is that you have to have a marshall approve the swap, i think. So what I was thinking, and please edit as needed if anyone has tried this or looked into it, is that a car might be able to pass CA regulations if the turbo setup is not too outragious, all the smog stuff is still attached, the car is tuned to pass the sniffer test, all that is left is to take it to a marshall and pay them to smog it and pass it. Anyone have any input on the matter?

Seishuku
Car: 1987 Nissan S12, 5-speed, SR20DE+T 50trim T3@15PSI, Megasquirt 1 029y4

That's how it should be, but it's not.
If there's a turbo sitting there, it's not going to pass a visual inspection.

A turbo is also modifying the exhaust system, which is also a big no-no.

It would be really nice if all you had to do is just ask if it's ok and passed a sniffer, but that isn't how it works.

KArookie

Yeah I figured that is the case but I wouldnt know why it would not burt to see if it is feesable. Modification to exhaust in CA is not the issue it is the header and cat. As long as the exhaust is under 95db then it is legally ok, but it is still police preference which is a bunch of crap. I know that the visual inspection is an issue but I was thinking if a marshall is willing to pass the car and you as an individual pay to have the car passed then it should not be an issue. It is just an idea. if the marshall is willing to pass the car, like in a motor swap, then he/she will put a tamper resistant sticker under the hood telling the smog tech that the car is ok to check for smog. I figured if this is all about money then why not try to pay to get your car passed? I will look more into it.

rc1honda
Car: 1992 240 sx
2007 BMW 335xi
2008 Honda CBR1000RR

Seishuku wrote:That's how it should be, but it's not.
If there's a turbo sitting there, it's not going to pass a visual inspection.

A turbo is also modifying the exhaust system, which is also a big no-no.

It would be really nice if all you had to do is just ask if it's ok and passed a sniffer, but that isn't how it works.
From what i understand this is not 100% true. There are a few 50 state carb supercharger options for mustangs and for the 350/370z. They are by no means cheap though. So maybe instead of a turbo you might be able to find a supercharger kit that can meet criteria. As the above post that wouldn't be modifying the exhaust system. Or maybe you can find a CARB exhaust to help expel gas. Supercharging seems a much more viable option for emissions rather then turbocharging. This is just from what i have read.

Seishuku
Car: 1987 Nissan S12, 5-speed, SR20DE+T 50trim T3@15PSI, Megasquirt 1 029y4

Exactly, a supercharger isn't going to modify the exhaust.

Did you know it's actually a crime to modify the exhaust in any way, unless you are certified to do so? You could actually get really screwed over for even just replacing an OEM muffler, it's just not usually that tightly enforced.

In Cali, it's not about what makes sense to you or me, or even from a emissions standpoint. Hell, I could sniffer pass my SR with no cat and no emissions equipment at all, but that's not how they see it. All they is that it's not stock, not CARB certified, thus will never pass.

Now, if you could get a CARB cert on a turbo manifold, a turbo, downpipe, cali legal ECU, intercooler, charge piping, and air intake... Then it would probably pass, but that's a lot of certification that would require a big company to back.

Now, if you really want to legally pass an emissions inspection, convert to propane... But even that conversion has to be done by a qualified shop.

There just isn't a easy, legal way to do this stuff.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Damn hippies..... ;)

Return to “Engine Tuning”