Car wont start

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
1997MaximaSE

Due to an accident which wasn't bad body wise, my airbags deployed! Now the car wont start. Does anyone know is this is due to the airbags or something else? Is there a way that I can somehow reset the computer so that the car starts?Also where is the plug to read trouble code slocated?

NISTECH

the air bag system on your car is completely isolated from the rest of the car so it would not be the reason for a no start. perhaps give us a little more info on the no start condition. does it crank but not start or does it not do anything when the key is in the start position? The consult plug is in the fuse box door. the OBDII plug is under the drivers side of the dash. and the ecm is mounted under the center console by your feet [ if your useing the screw turning method to pull codes].

1997MaximaSE

It doesnt crank, battery low, boost it the battery(it doesnt stay charged and dies quickly)The computer read out gave me code 0304(Knock sensor)and 0325 which according to the OBDII read out is Knock sensor 1 circuit Malfunction. But I dont thik the knock sensor will be the reason for the car not starting.Thank you for any additional help, and for your interest in helping.

NISTECH

It sounds like you have a bad altenator. You are correct the knock sensor will not stop the car from running. I am not sure if it applied to your year or not but nissan had a recall on the altenators for maximas. I am thinking it was 96 and 97 MY max. Have your VIN number run at the local dealer and see if it has any outstanding campaigns. When you do get the altenator replaced be sure to have the battery charged before running the car on the new altenator. Its not good for the alt to run it on a low state of charge battery.

1997MaximaSE

The aternator was replaced by a local shop out of my own pocket about 6 months ago. But I will check on the VIN with the dealer.(any place where I can do it online)Lets say I put in a new Battery adn since the alternator is basically new. What will you suggest the problem is?Thanks again.

NISTECH

What kind of altenator did you put in? factory or aftermarket? I have found from experiance aftermarket rebuilt altenators are not very reliable. If you install a new battery I suspect the car will run till the charge on the battery is exhausted [could be a day or two depending on system electrical requests,i.e. rear defroster,A/C, lights,ect ] You really need to have the charge system tested. You can do a quick check on the system if you have a test light and a good battery in the car. take your test light and probe each wire on the altenator. With the car running you should have voltage at the large hot lead and at least one of the connector leads[plugged in to the alt]. this will tell you the wiring in the car is ok so it would leave the altenator as your problem.

1997MaximaSE

I read in a forum that most cars have a switch that shuts off power to the fuel pump in an impact and that I need to reset it. Is there such a thing?

NISTECH

not on a maxima. the only nissan with that feature I know of is the pre 2003 quest and that is due to the vehicle being a joint venture with ford[ badged as a villager on the ford line] so it was one of fords requirements.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”