Car won't start with parking brake on

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
hapathetical
Car: 2002 I35

Hi, guys.

I'm having an odd issue with my 02 I35. It seems that sometimes, it won't start, but only when the parking brake is ON. I turn the key, and I just get a "click". The engine doesn't seem to turn.

I don't think there are any problems with the fuel pump, alternator, starter, battery, or anything like that. It only fails to start sometimes when and only when the parking brake is on, and when I release it, it starts fine. Also, the security light does NOT go on, and I've checked around the brake pedal... no wires around it that could be pinched...

Any idea what the issue could be?
Thanks a lot!!

daliuta
Car: Pathfinder

Did you figure this out? I'm having the same problem. Thanks.

daliuta
Car: Pathfinder

Did you figure this out? I'm having the same problem. Thanks.

Maximus2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima

Had the same issue just with a 2000 maxima (automatic transmission). It ended up being my shifter bushing. You can get just the bushing at bushingfix.com. I wouldn’t get a starter click or anything. Just turned the key and heard crickets. What I ended up doing is with the e brake off either pushing the car forward or backward and I would hear a click in the shifter. This would mainly happen on flat even ground. There is a plastic panel on the right side of the shifter you can pop off and sneak it in through there without having to take the whole center console out. Bushing was completely missing. Once I put this bushing in it has started without a problem ever since. Hopefully this help I was definitely scratching my head with this one when the problem first stated to occur.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”