car trouble - no spark to the plugs

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
dustovshio

My friend recently installed a manual tranny in my 2+2 tt. it was previously an auto and it did run my tranny was shot. So we got it put together and now it turns over and the started engages but to spark goes to the plugs. Does anyone know what is wrong ? thanks

leerandallstewart
Car: 1993 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1988 300ZX Turbo

I would suspect the ECU - I may be wrong, but think that the ECU is different on manual transmissions vs. automatic.

Zwicked
Car: 1990 300 ZX tt, 1990 240SX

Did you run ECU diagnostics first? ECU diag is always the first step. I suspect you did something if it ran before.*The Auto ECU can be used with the manual trans, just not the other way around.

dustovshio

I am using the same auto ecu and it has been chipped since it ran last. I had a manual chipped by the same repair shop and my other z is running fine, though that's not to say that this one wasn't damaged. Now that I've converted to a 5 sp it doesn't matter if it's an auto ecu- just so long as it's not a manual ecu in an automatic trans. should I check if the ecu is bad by puttying in a working n/a ecu ( being that the engine is tt) or by doing the diagnostic test? I found this thread which describest the diagnostic test. zerothread/249406

thanks

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”