car STILL overheats.. arg.. help please

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

over a year ago I installed a new waterpump (which I thought I bought at autozone, which had a lifetime replacement).. about a month ago car was getting really hot, and staying hot..then I found a nice big hole/crack on top of my radiator.. it was all dinged up anyway.... so I just bought a new one.$100 or 120, i forget. so, I flushed the system, and put that in... still got hot everyso often after that..

anyway...for the last couple of weeks my car has been acting funny..it would get hot, then all the sudden cool down.. as if the thermosdat would open too late..

well lately it would just get about 3/4 the way on the temp gauge, and stay there.. cool down sometimes, and stay hot sometimes.. then I realized that it would get hot only when I would drive it above ~4000rpm..

so I just drove under 4k for a while, then it started to get hot.

I thought it was my waterpump since the same thing would happen to a friends mustang just before his waterpump went out, (would get hot with higher revs).so....I went to autozon and seems that my name wasn't on record for purchasing a waterpump and didn't get it for free, $27.... bah.

so I get a new thermosdat as well.

changed both of those...and now... car is still over heating!!!

and its staying higher than 3/4 way on the gauge....i'm tempted just to take out the thermosdat to see if that is the problem.

I have been using these autozone brand ones..

I live in Florida where winter is pretty much nonexsistent...

would it be safe (if that is the problem) to just remove the thermosdat and keep it out??

I know the purpose of the thermosdat is to keep hot coolant in the radiator and allow it to cool off before releasing it back into the engine.., also to allow the block to keep a certain amount of heat to run right...but arg...I am sick of these problems...

anyone with similar problems??

-Dan

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

Oh.....and coolant is about 70/30 mixture (70 water of course)

and it is actually overheating..it boils over into the overflow tank... not just a bad sensor (which could also be the case)....

also...the electric fan is working last time I checked.. I will check tomorrow.. but the car stays close to HOT even when I am driving.. and not just stopped..so..

-Dan

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Jubs180 wrote:Oh.....and coolant is about 70/30 mixture (70 water of course)

and it is actually overheating..it boils over into the overflow tank... not just a bad sensor (which could also be the case)....

also...the electric fan is working last time I checked.. I will check tomorrow.. but the car stays close to HOT even when I am driving.. and not just stopped..so..

-Dan

I'll bet money that it's the autozone thermostat. Me, my dad, some people my dad works with, my uncle, my brother, and 2 of my friends all have had problems with autozone's thermostats. They buy them, put them in and the car either still runs hot or runs even hotter. Don't buy thier crap. :)

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”