Car still overheating after new radiator.....?help?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
StonedRhyder
Car: 91 240sx ka24de

Ok, just want to thank everyone for the input and thoughts. Any would help right now. I have a 91 ka24de with 180k, was running strong. I was driving the other day and it started to over heat and i pulled over. Radiator had cranked along the top, near the plastic. Waitted foir car to cool down and drive it to a shop, my house would have been 45min with out pulling over to let cool down. Had a shop put a new radiator in, $251 later....$150 radiator.
Drove it into town and went to friends shop to late. On the way home about 4 blocks away it started to rise over half. Drove it 17 miles to my house and the whole way it was flirting with the hot level and 3/4 temps. I got home and the resivoir was full.....very full, felt the rad top hose and it was hot. Took the rad cap off and didnt see any fluid.....imagine its all sitting in the resivoir. Thats where i sit as of now, kinda lost. I just replaced my power steering pump and 2 weeks before. I called and told the shop what had happend and that I was bringing it in monday. Id like to fix it myself, after reading a couple things online and seeing it might be a couple easy fixes. I've had good luck with getting help from nico figured id come here before I take it in the shop. I plan on making some write up on the power steering pump after what I had to go through....another story for another time......

StonedRhyder

Just went out this morning and checked rad level in the rad, fluid is visible from the rad cap. No leakes - no puddle or anything under the car, bottom rad hose is fine. Goin to try an let it warm up with the rad cap open to see if it bubbless.

StonedRhyder

well, no bubbles (asume the heads no crap), no milky oil. Letting it cool down and going to check the wheep hole(10mm) on the water pump. started the car with the rad cap off and it keeps filling up to the over flow, i suck a little out so i can watch the flow and it keeps coming to the top of the rad cap. going to also bleed it again, and again, and again.........n anything els? i dont think its a stuck thermostat cuz when it idles it doesnt open to hot, only when i drive it will it go to hot. I also noticed when i was driving it that it would drop in temp from the 1st H dot to about 3/4, then slowly rise to the dot. anyone car to throw there 2 cents in?

StonedRhyder

just got back from getting my thermostat. As I took out the old one i noticed it was very, very hard to move the spring. Compaired to the old one the new one is so much easier to move the spring. Couldnt get the gasket for the new thermo, so im going to try and use the liquid gasket. Will keep posting so that anyone that looks at this may try the things im trying since no-one is viewing.

StonedRhyder

MMM, new thermo is in and still over heating. I replaced the temp sensor also with out any luck. I started the car and the eletric fan was going along with the mechanical one. Drove off to over heat the car and pull over and the eletrica fan was going at all. I pulled it out and hot wired the fan, it worked. I noticed that the fan frame/holder was cracked in half. I dont know if it had cracked and the fan blade was hitting the frame or what. checked the fluid with the rad cap off and i couldnt tell if it was cycling, but what i did see is that the fluid keeps pouring out of the hole the cap goes on. also when i took the cap off there wasnt pressure but it had a sucktion to it. Is there/how do i check and see if the wires going to the eletric fan conncections are good? What tells the eletrice fan to kick on? my AC is dead if that makes a diffrence. once again there is no fluid from the wheep hole in the water pump, could i be going bad? im really lost as of what i can do. please help me out.................... :cry:

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

The Thermostat had a jiggle valve right? And it was at the top when installed?

KA's like to trap air. Get your car on some ramps and bleed it. You may have to bounce the front end.

You have an electric fan and a clutch fan on for your rad? Maybe you need a new rad cap.

StonedRhyder

yeah, jiggle this was at the top, ive tried to bleed it many times. ever time it keeps spitting out air (bubbles) never stops spitting out bubbles. I just picked up the water pump and im in the middle of installing it now. I also got a flush kit. I will put the car up on some wheel ramps and try to bleed it. my cap seemed fine, easy to push and everything. I also replaced the relay for the eletric fan today. will keep you posted, took off 3 days so far. its my daily driver. thanks

StonedRhyder

WOW to add to the frustration, i went and opened the new water pump box (45min drive to auto zone) and they gave the the wrong one!!!!!!!!!!!! now i have to wait until 2marrow after work to pick the part up. god dam that makes me so mad, how hard is it to check numbers and make sure they arnt off! will post after i put it in..... about 6-7pm 2marrow

StonedRhyder

just changed the water pump and its still over heating, tried a new rad cap also. dont under stand, this post is also under the general chat..... more info there.

lbreevesii
Car: S13 hatch LeMons project - Kaputzen!
BMW E30

Checked your hoses? Could have one collapsing.

armandjones82
Car: Toyota Prius

I'm passing thru this forum when I saw this thread about your radiator change, but still having your car overheating. I suggest to check all the parts of your car, then try to check if all things would work out well. Monitor every thing that your car is going thru and try to analyze everything. I hope your car will do fine afterward.

StonedRhyder

I found the problem, blown head gasket..... Thanks alot for everybodies help

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”