Car Squeaks When It Accelerates

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
[email protected]

I am helping a family member with a 2013 Nissan Rogue. When the car accelerates at a stop sign or light, there is a temporary squeaking sound coming from underneath the car. The car also vibrates a bit. Once the car gets up to speed of 20-30 miles per hour, the sound disappears. I have checked the serpentine belt. It looks fine. I did find a CV axle boot ripped on the driver side. I will replace the driver CV Axle soon.

I test drove the car today. It does not make any clicking sound or any sound at all when I am turning. So the CV axle does not seem to be the cause of the squeaky noise from underneath the car. The brake pads are all new. So that rules out the brake system.

It feels like it has to do with the drive train somehow. I am hoping that it is not the dreaded CVT problem. Any ideas from you smart members out there? Thank you!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I've never heard of a squeaking CVT, that would be a new one. If it's AWD, check the U-joints and the viscous coupling (the driveshaft on Rogues spins constantly even if there's no power being transferred to the rear). Also check the motor mounts, broken torque and wishbone mounts can make all sorts of weird noises as the engine shifts position.

[email protected]

The Rogue in question is FWD not AWD. Hoping this information can narrow it down a bit more.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Change in a noise while turning really only applies to outer CV's and wheel bearings, which both participate or are loaded by the turn. That doesn't rule out inner CV's or the carrier bearing on the righthand axle.

[email protected]

Thanks for the tip on the inner CV Axle failure. I think that is the cause. I will have the CV replaced and report back. Thanks to all of you!

[email protected]

I am pleased to say I fixed the car problem(s). I replaced the drivers side cv axle. It did have a ripped inner boot.

Noise went away but car runs sluggish. So I cleaned the MAF and throttle body. Car drove a bit smoother.

But I noticed belt squeaked when ac is on and I give it some gas. So I replaced the serpentine belt. 2013 Rogue had 83,000 miles on it. Noise now gone.

While I had my family member’s car in my garage, I also went and replaced the 4 spark plugs. It made a difference. Car runs smooth like new.

Question - I did find a bit of oil in the spark plug well in the 1st spark plug on the passenger side. I assume it is a gasket issue. Do I need to replace the gasket soon? Trying to help my family member who knows nothing about cars and is on a tight budget.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

IIRC the skirts on a '13 valve cover aren't replaceable, you need to replace the whole cover. Good news is, you can get a perfectly serviceable new cover on eBay or Amazon for $40. Letting it go isn't a good idea, the leak will soften the rubber of the coil boot and you'll end up with a misfire from the coil arcing through the boot to the wall of the spark plug well.

[email protected]

I ordered this MITZONE valve cover from amazon. After receiving it, I noticed that it has 4 bolt holes in the front and 4 in the back. I have 5 bolts per side in my 2013. One of the reviewers said he drilled a 5th hole. I hate modifying a part to make it fit. I am thinking about returning it :-(

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZNB4931?ps ... ct_details

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's bizarre. I was just browsing through eBay using the Nissan part number and at least half of them are missing two holes just like that one. I have no idea how they can claim equivalence, you should send it back and b**** out the seller. Try this one, the pic shows the full complement of holes and it's a seller I've bought from before without issues. You might want to contact them first anyway, have them pull a part and count holes before you buy it.
:mad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232236056938

[email protected]

Thanks for the info. I looked at some YouTube videos and I noticed that some shows the 2014 engine valve cover with 4 holes instead of 5. Mine is a 2013. So perhaps it changed from 5 to 4 holes in 2014. Maybe some 2014 Rogue owners can confirm.

It just annoys me that they advertise the cover for 2013 but it is missing a bolt hole.

Return to “Rogue Forum”