Car refuses to start with repeated clicking but can be jumped

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
undergroundecho
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35

Day 1: My 2013 Infiniti JX35 won't start. When I press the ignition button, the car loses all electrical power and I can hear repeated clicks under the hood.

I installed a new battery, and it started up right away and drove fine.

Day 2: The problem came back. Here's what I've done:

• Checked the voltage on the battery: 12.6
  • Turned on accessories without starting the car: no problems
  • Scanned for codes: no codes
Then I jump-started the car:

• Jump-start worked
  • Checked the voltage on the (running car) battery: 14.2
  • Disconnected the black terminal on the battery: car continued to run
When I turned the car off and removed the jumper cables, it wouldn't start again.

Day 3:

I went out to the car to check on things, and it was still clicking from the night before.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:
It very well can be a bad battery even though the lights come on.

Starting the car is the single hardest thing (draws a lot of amperage) for the battery to do. If it is becoming weak, it will become harder and harder for it to crank the engine.

The lights and other accessories may still work because they draw less amperage (which the battery can still support).

Take the battery to have it load tested. That will determine if it is still good or not. If it is, then you need to start looking at the battery leads (large gauge wires) that go to ground and to the starter. If they are damaged or corroded badly, they can prevent proper amperage draw for the starter.

Since you said it starts with jumper cables, it is most likely a bad battery.
Side note. Could you please check your email address. Your membership approval was delayed because emails to you were bouncing back as "address not found". Thanks!

undergroundecho
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35

This ended up being a bad negative terminal connected to the battery. The vibration at engine start was just enough to disrupt the connection. When I jumped the car, the clamp secured the terminal and the connection -- and, of course, the extra juice helped too.

I confirmed at the dealership (don't judge) that the alternator and starter are fine.

Make sure your battery terminals are tight and clean.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:dblthumb:

Thanks for the update!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Glad you got it sorted!

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”