Car only starts with no fuel pump fuse? (Most of the time)

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
x420BOOTYWIZARD
Car: 1993 240SX

240SX 1993 KA24DE Okie so for about a month I've been having weird issues with my car here and there, it was stuttering very rarely and would seem to just fall on its face once in a blue moon when I would try to go from a stop. Overall it was fine though and the car drove with no issues really. I decided to replace my fuel filter first and the car seemed to not wanna start at all for awhile, assuming it just had no fuel in the lines as it did start eventually and ran a little better, the car would still hiccup a bit here and there. From that point I just left it and a few weeks later the car would just not turn over, would crank and crank but nothing, I guessed it was the fuel pump as I couldnt hear it that good, I asked on the forums about it and did a few things people said and it turned out to be the ENG CONT fuse that was causing the issues. After I replaced that the car was running great for another few weeks, I went for 20 min drive with some friends and we sat around for awhile and when it was time to go I went to start my car, and of course nothing. So we tried to figure the issue out for awhile and eventually we noticed a plug had fried itself (had smoke coming off when I tried to start). So we rewired the whole thing (Believe it was the SCV Solenoid Valve plug, its on the back right side of the valve cover) Once that was rewired the car ran great, I noticed it wouldn't die when rolling to a stop but would idle around 1.5-2k RPM and then eventually return to normal idle after I had stopped for a little which seemed a bit odd but nothing terrible. So from this point the car has had issues, the car seems to not want to start at all when I first turn it on (sometimes it'll start right up, others it just wont turn over at all) when its running its fine other then that idle issue when coming to a stop or rolling. So yesterday I decided I'll replace the fuel pump, took another unit I had with a walboro pump and slapped that in. Could hear the pump 100x better but still the car would just crank and crank and not turn over. At this point I smelled fuel and assumed the car was flooded so I removed the fuel pump fuse to clear the system and try again, when I went to crank it I heard no pump going but the car just started once I gave a tiny bit of gas. It eventually died out as it had no source to pump from, but at this point I tried to start it then run over and pop my fuel pump fuse back in. After doing this the car would run perfectly fine and it would never have issues while driving other then the idle situation. Some days though the car starts fine with the fuse in and some days it wont turn over at all so I just go ahead and pull the fuse and place it back (kinda annoying to start the car this way but it works) This seemed so confusing to me and at this point im lost and assume my car is powered by black magic, I wanted to ask the forums though before going to a mechanic (I could just be dumb though, dont know a ton about cars yet). So if anyone could help that would be amazing.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”