Car not recognizing key after battery disconnect

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
eQlipse
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

Title pretty much sums it up. Having an issue with key not being recognized after disconnecting the battery. I've had the battery disconnected before with no issue. What's different this time I believe is the batteries in the remote was on it's way out. Was getting the warning. So now car is dead in driveway, steering locked, and no response from start button. Won't even go into accessory mode. Security light is flashing. No lock or unlock functions from remote with new battery. Had a 2025 on hand so tried it until I can get a 2032. Could that be an issue?

Searched the forum and found some threads with similar issues but no one seems to post the resolution to the issue. Anyone able to head me in the correct direction?

Need to get this resolved so I can work on a different issue that's reared it's ugly head.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

If the key fobs work when inserted in that little slot on the dash, the trouble is the key fob. I've also heard tell that if you tap the start button WITH the key fob, it may start too. I'm sure you already checked connections at the battery terminals for tightness but perhaps that inline fuse went titz-up? Maybe a ground wire to the engine has worked loose? Does the dash have any lights? Do the interior lights come on when you open the doors ?

eQlipse

Interior lights, seats, anything not requiring acc works. Keys in slot do nothing.

eQlipse

Larz wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:55 pm
If the key fobs work when inserted in that little slot on the dash, the trouble is the key fob. I've also heard tell that if you tap the start button WITH the key fob, it may start too. I'm sure you already checked connections at the battery terminals for tightness but perhaps that inline fuse went titz-up? Maybe a ground wire to the engine has worked loose? Does the dash have any lights? Do the interior lights come on when you open the doors ?
What inline fuse are you referring to please?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

eQlipse wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:52 pm
Larz wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:55 pm
What inline fuse are you referring to please?
He's referring to fuse on the positive battery cable. It’s there so that if there is a large spike of current, it will blow and save all the on-board electronics from getting fried. If that fuse was blown then none of the lights would work, but you said they come on, so we can rule it out. It's possible that the problem is the battery you put in the fob.

CR2025 batteries are thinner than a CR2032 so it may not be making proper contact inside the fob. Also, did you check the CR2025 battery voltage to see if it's working? As a first step let's get a new correct size battery and go from there.

BTW, you didn't mention if you have a second fob. Can we assume you don't have a spare fob? If you do, and you haven’t already done so, you’ll want to check whether or not it works. Also you didn't say if the fob is able to lock and unlock your doors.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

eQlipse wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 pm
Interior lights, seats, anything not requiring acc works. Keys in slot do nothing.
Was the key in the slot when you disconnected the battery? Does the battery have sufficient power? I'm suspecting memory loss. The key(s) would probably have to be reprogrammed starting from the steering lock release procedure.

eQlipse

I do have a second fob and it’s not working either. Neither one unlocks or locks the doors. Bosch battery tested well above Cca and sufficient voltage. I’ll try the 2032 and go from there. What’s the reprogramming from steering lock procedure?

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

eQlipse wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:30 pm
I do have a second fob and it’s not working either. Neither one unlocks or locks the doors. Bosch battery tested well above Cca and sufficient voltage. I’ll try the 2032 and go from there. What’s the reprogramming from steering lock procedure?
Strictly speaking, nothing's wrong with your fobs, only their engine start (alongside the remote) function has been rendered incapacitated. A good locksmith should be able to reprogramme. Here's an example of the procedure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JaYCeOW1o

eQlipse

Update. Both fobs, fresh batteries tested to be putting out signal at the Autozone tester. This was suggested by locksmith. So the key fobs should be good. Still no lock/unlock functions from either. Security light flashing, interior lights come on when door is opened and also when door is unlocked manually by key. Checked all fuses ignition related I could find and also swapped with a different fuse to be sure. All showed continuity. Inline fuse on positive battery cable also shows continuity.

Seems I'm left with the attempt to have them reprogrammed at $125. Locksmith seems to think it may be a antennae issue.

Thoughts before I shell out the cash for reprogramming? That's the only thing I can think to do now.

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

The antennae control the remote, and not the key start (i.e. fob in the key slot), function. Good luck should you go the reprogramming way.

M35_Ryder
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35 Base

I'm having the exact same problem after a battery swap.

eQlipse

Locksmith unable to communicate to do the steering lock procedure. Still dead in the water. I disconnected the battery and will leave off at least 24 hours. I'm stumped. The scanner was able to read some things and reported IPDM ok.

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

What other things did the scanner report? Let's have the precise error codes.

eQlipse

No codes came up.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”