Car might have flooding issue?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Carbon95
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX SE Convertible

Some context to this headache. My friend's car is completely stock and has about 142k, and had sat for some time. When we were getting around to getting it back on the road, we did a tune up (plugs and wires) and found we still had a misfire. Found out that Cylinder 1 Fuel Injector was not working and changed it out for a new one. Ran awesome. Over time, found out the car was flooding, bad. Was so bad that smoke poured from the exhaust as well as what seemed to be oil being sprayed out. It was bad enough that the fuel leaked into the crank case oil and would shoot out of the PVC system if you revved it up and into the intake and even prevented the car from cranking a few times. It flooded the lower intake and the car could literally run forever without injectors hook up. I took the fuel rail off, replaced all of the orings, and hooked it back up minus putting it on the intake manifold and pressurized it. 0 leaks. Drained everything out of the pan and flushed it out with some oil and put about 5qts back in it. Ran great, other than the fact the smoking was still there, but I am assuming it is possibly because of the oil/fuel mixture that might still be in the exhaust system and is burning.

For the smoke, I'm sure it isn't coolant because it definitely does not smell like it and the car does not over heat. I am pretty sure the rings are fine because I did a compression test before I fixed it the first time and everything tested almost identical. I don't remember exact numbers, but I think it was around 120-150psi. My friend has been driving it for a few days, but two days ago he said it wouldn't start. We jumped it last night and got it home, but I noticed it was misfiring. I looked at it today, and it was not starting because it was doing the same thing as if it was flooded again. I unplugged the injectors and got it to crank enough and finally start and it even ran for a few seconds before dying. I plugged everything back in and it fired right up, but was still misfiring. Cylinder 4 is misfiring and I am pretty sure it flooded enough to mess up the spark plug. I have not pulled it yet, but that's my thought. There is what seems to be oil on part of the intake filter as well. I pulled the PVC hose, started the car, and revved it to 4k a few times and nothing came out.

I am not sure where else to go on this. I have not checked codes, but when it was doing this before the only code it gave was the knock sensor, but I replaced the sensor when I cleaned out the intake. No check engine light on currently. Could back-pressure in the exhaust system be putting what is still in the exhaust system back into the cylinder? There was so much in it at one point it was dropping out of a flange piece.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

That much flooding could be the result of a distributor or ignition coil going out. Also, make sure the timing is fine.

johnmartinii
Car: I like BMW Car 2019 series as its speed and everything is great. The comfort or even any other thing is beyond word;d

Well, did you check out your car after flooding? Because after the flood, the mud water enters into the car and creates the bad smell which can further create suffocation in the car. As my car was also got stuck in the flood and I really know that I wasn't able to seat in the car back again.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Hey John, This is carb/injector flooding, not deluge submersion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Hey John, This is carb/injector flooding, not deluge submersion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If they use ethanol in the local fuel you might be looking at serious fuel system damage, in later form the ethanol turns water into acid and eats parts alive. Could be ALL injectors are dead as well as your fuel pressure regulation.

Your exhaust is loose at flange, no engine can make enough back pressure to knock loose a part correctly tightened. Once the engine back pressures enough to stack up in engine it will begin to backfire heavily out of the intake because of the slow burn induced by too much exhaust and the fact it still cannot get out. The engine IS an air pump after all. .

jamesenn
Car: Driving the car is my passion and I just like to drive and drive only.

My car also submerged into the pool and wasn't working well. There was no help available and when the engine was not working. It just submerged and my car engine got struck. This remind me of the bad days when I was strck in the flood. And, afterward I stopped going into the car.

johnmartinii
Car: I like BMW Car 2019 series as its speed and everything is great. The comfort or even any other thing is beyond word;d

As James has said each and everything correct, my car showed the https://www.2kreviews.com/best-car-batteries/and it wasn't working. So I get it my car checked into the garage, so mechanic said that it's okay and you need to go and replace the battery in the market. When I solved this problem, another arises of the car smell

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”