Car is shut down

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
Heidi290
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima

No lights what so ever. key is stuck in ignition ( can’t turn it to lock position to remove it but can turn as if cranking it but nothing). Trunk release doesn’t even work. Tested fuses all seem good. Replaced positive terminal fuse on battery ( just cause there was a little sign of corrosion). Tested the battery and it’s good. Steering wheel isn’t locked. Tried unlocking the shifter and moved through gears just to make sure it was all into park ( even though I knew it had to be since I drove it the night before and was able to remove the key). I’m at a loss

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Start by seeing if there's power into and out of the Ignition Switch. The fat Green wire on the "B" terminal should be hot all the time, if it isn't then check 40A fusible link "M" in the Fuse & Fusible Link box under the hood. The Black/Red on IG1 and Red on IG2 should both go hot with the key "on", if one or both stay cold then your Ignition Switch is shot.

macgiver

If steering unlocked see if 'unloading the wheel ' in either R/L directions allows key movement . I have a car I have to put like 10 lbs pressure CCW on wheel to like release key actions.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”