Car hacking

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Sentrasb1
Car: 2016 Nissan Sentra SL

Hello, this is my first time to use this site and I am sort of a newbie for using forums in general but I will get to the point.
I have a 2016 Nissan Sentra SL. I have owned it for approximately 4 months and up till now it has been fine except for one issue a couple of months ago when we tried to get a locksmith to program a key fob we had purchased on Ebay , which turned out to be a nightmare, because it put the car into theft mode and he couldn't get it to work with the new key fob and the original key fob became unprogrammed somehow. It was a very long day, and we wound up needing a ride home. The next day he finally had his son program it with a totally new key fob and it worked. I have been driving it a couple of months now with no problem. Long story short, I have things going on in my life that give me reasons to think my car could have been hacked just recently. Friday August 3rd I drove my car to my x husbands home and left it parked there while my daughter drove me to visit my son, who lives 1 1/2 hours away. We were gone about 10 hours. The car was locked. When we got back it started and I drove it home, which is about 17 miles, I parked it and didn't drive it again until the 9th when I was at an appointment and it was parked outside the office building with the doors locked. All of a sudden the horn started blowing like someone was just laying on the horn. It wouldn't stop. It wasn't like a car alarm. It was a constant blowing horn! I unlocked it and tried to start it and it gave me that key fob warning on the dash. It is a push button start. I kept trying to start it and nothing would happen it kept blowing and not starting. So I pulled the latch under the dash to pop the hood and that was when the horn stopped blowing. Then I disconnected the negative battery cable and reconnected it twice with no luck starting. Finally I had to have it towed to Nissan where it took them 5 days and they have just finally figured out that the IPDM module has to be replaced and it is going to cost just under 800.00 dollars! Why would a 2016 with 54k miles have this happen? I have been reading and watching YouTube about car hacking. Can this be a result of car hacking? Can anyone help?

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I doubt your car was hacked.

Did you or Nissan change the battery in the FOB?

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Lol, that Sentra isn't techy enough to be hacked. Direct hardwire access only.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah... most likely not hacked, just poor body modules from Nissan.

EdBwoy

I also think it's just bad luck. If you or someone you know is handy and willing, you can replace the IPDM yourselves.
To the layman it's just a fancy fuse box, which doesn't need any special programming upon replacement.

Looking through the Sentra forum, I didn't get many hits when I searched for "IPDM" so I am inclined to assume your odds with a used unit from eBay wouldn't be too bad,

Sentrasb1
Car: 2016 Nissan Sentra SL

They told me it wasn't the key fob when they first checked it. I finally got it back today and I am $776.12 poorer as a result of a fuse box that went bad for no reason. They said there was no sign of corrosion or anything that would explain why it malfunctioned. I can't believe i am having this kind of trouble with a car with such low miles and is only 2 years old.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah I would think that would be covered under warranty, but who knows.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:28 am
Yeah I would think that would be covered under warranty, but who knows.
It would be, but she has 54k miles, so out of warranty.

Return to “General Chat”