car cranks over,wont start

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
TIMGREEN2
Car: 2003 Altima S 2.5

Hey people,so I've got an 03' Altima 2.5 S that is/was running great,started every time on 1st try no problem. Today however it left me stranded for about 45 mins then finally started.I started & stopped several times without any problems. Go to leave work the same thing happens but this time it wont start. It cranks over just fine,just wont light. Any ideas or suggestions on where to start to diagnose would be greatly appreciated.

outThere
Car: 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

i am sure you have repaired it by now. i would check to make sure you are getting a spark, if so take the tune from the air filter off squirt some cat safe car cleaner in see if it starts. probably just needs new plugs.

TIMGREEN2

thanks

Rcypert
Car: 2005 Altima 2.5 automatic

Did you resolve your issue? How?

TIMGREEN2

Yes,it turns out it was a bunch of codes related to the factory security/immolbilizer system.

Rcypert

That interesting. I think the immobilizer might be my issue as well. How’d you fix it? Thank you for your reply. I’m desperate for help? Did your car tell you it was the immobilizer or was in unknown to you? No lights or anything?

TIMGREEN2

Unfourtantly,the fix was just a matter of paying a mechanic to clear all the codes ($165.00) . I also think my problem is still lurking in the immobilizer as well. My car wont go into program mode to program new key fob. The only other thing the mechanic did was change the battery in my ignition key. There was no lights no warning. The car started having intermittent starting issues,I was told it was the fuel pump so i changed that(costly lesson)it didnt fix the issue. So thats why it ended up at a shop.and the handheld scanners at the auto stores wont clear the codes,so dont waste your money.

Rcypert

Thanks for the advice. They keep telling me to change the fuel pump. I know it’s not the fuel pump. Checked the pressure myself 49 psi. I need someone with that Nissan diag tool. Did you have to get a new key?

Rcypert

It’s good to know that you didn’t get light or warnings that info is helpful so I love got it pretty much narrowed down to the immobilizer or the injector drivers in the ecm.

TIMGREEN2

So when I bought the car,the previous owner only had 1 original key & fob that came with car. The spare key is an ilco N102. Im using the spare key,and thats the one they replaced battery in. The original & fob were lost. What is really a downer is that the codes that came up on my car( im being told) cant be cleared with a OBD ll handheld scanner from auto store. 2 mechanics have told me that.Weather its true or not I dont know.

50deber
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima

Hi! I'm Debbie and I am new here. I have a similar problem. My 2003 Altima 3.5 wouldn't start a month or so ago (until many tries) and the check engine light came on. At the mechanic's the code showed bad cam sensor. It was replaced and ran well for about a month, then the same thing happened. I would turn over, but not start again until about 15 tries. I took the car back to the mechanic and he said there was oil all over the sensors he had replaced. He said he couldn't tell where the oil was coming from and it would cost more than the car was worth to try to find it. Any ideas? I really don't want to buy a new car now since they are so hard to come by due to the chip shortage and a used car cost as much as new now. Thanks for any help!

PS. The check engine light no longer comes on and there is no code.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's a good chance your crank sensor is bad, they often cause long-crank starts without throwing any codes. The only other likely candidate is a dying fuel pump that's taking it's time to spin up. Finding oil leaks isn't rocket-science, put some UV dye in the oil and drive it a bit. The magic glasses and flashlight will take you straight to the leak.

50deber
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima

Thank you, VStar650CL

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”