Car cranks, but needs throttle input to start

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Hugo L.
Car: 2008 Rogue SL
2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon
1999 BMW M3 'vert

Hi, I searched and found another thread that I didn't want to hijack. Also, the car in the other didn't start at all.

Our Rogue is a 2008 and has around 125k miles.

Winter has come in very early this year, and the car is tough to start. It cranks, but won't start unless we give it a blip from the throttle. It's never done that before.

It is an aging car, so before dumping crazy amounts of money in it, I'd like to hear some pointers as to what might be causing this, and if a DIY solution might/should be tempted before taking it to the shop.

It's not cold enough to prevent starting in and of itself, and it has a block heater anyway.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

You could try spraying the intake manifold with SeaFoam or similar to clear up any carbon buildup. You might also want to look into replacing the fuel filter or injectors if they've never been changed.

Hugo L.
Car: 2008 Rogue SL
2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon
1999 BMW M3 'vert

I do have some Seafoam at home, so I might try that.

I'll look into having the injectors cleaned. As for the fuel filter, a few google searches seem to indicate that it is in the tank and therefore not a replaceable unit.

Thanks!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

While your cleaning the throttle body, give your mass AIR flow sensor a cleaning with MAF spray.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

casperfun wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:12 pm
While your cleaning the throttle body, give your mass AIR flow sensor a cleaning with MAF spray.
+1

Return to “Rogue Forum”