Car comparison

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Well, my 2016 didn't last as long as I wanted it to. It got totaled on January 24th, 2020. So my rental is a 2019 Camry SE (it was either this or a POS Chevy). This is giving me a nice few weeks to understand about Toyota. However, I did do some price shopping yesterday (Honda, Ford, Toyota, and Mazda), and finalized to two vehicles: 2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with 10spd Auto and 2020 Toyota Camry XSE 2.5L with 8spd Auto (surprizing that a Toyota hater has a Toyota product as the final two choices).

For those that owns one of these two vehicles, what are some issues that each vehicle has? And does the A25A-FKS 2.5L Toyota motor burns oil?

And for those wondering, yes all parties are okay in the crash, and insurance is giving a $11k check (deducted $2700 because "over mileage").

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Just exactly how many accidents have you and your immediate family members been involved in?
Seems like this is a common theme in your rants.
BTW, I have a 2017 Mazda 6 GT that I would buy again over any Honda or Toyota.
That 10 spd tranny in the Honda is about 3 speeds too many. It can't make up it's mind what the heck it wants to do.
Might as well buy another CVT equipped car.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Sounds like your parents are making those choices, not you. :facepalm: Given your driving record, inexperience, age, and financial situation, perhaps your parents should consider buying you something old, cheap and small instead of a brand new,mid-priced, larger 4 door mom-mobile. That settlement is not only less than half the cost of a new base model Camry/Accord (and you're talking about wanting a higher level model) odds are good you're going to have another accident (you're a male teen- by far the biggest risk group). Plus, in an earlier thread you complained about you and your parents not having enough money to do major repairs on your current fleet. Doesn't seem to make much sense for them to spend so much more on mid priced new car for an accident prone college student especially if their money is tight.

That said, as far as which is better between an up-level 2020 Accord or Camry? They're both solid, larger, predictable, reliable cars with full warranties that will still give you plenty to whine about. Buzzman is right about the annoyance of multi-gear modern automatics constantly shifting. It's tolerable in 700+ hp Hellcats, but less so in modest cars. Yes, CVT's are very unsporty, but then again your folks are not buying you a sports oriented car. And only Nissan is selling CVT's that prematurely faiI. The other manufacturers have been using them for a few years now. Unlike Nissan, the others waited until they perfected their CVT's before selling them. fwiw I have 2 non car-guy nephews (they're about twice your age and paid for their cars themselves) had the same Accord/Camry discussions with me and both ended up with Accords as they felt Accords fit their needs slightly better than the Camry. Plus their local Honda dealer was more eager to accept negotiations than the Toyota dealer, making it less expensive to buy.

As far as short term rental cars, given the choice of a base model Camry or base model Chevy, at the end of the day it ultimately does not matter at all. It's a friggin' short term rental. But as a long time car guy, I personally would've gone for the Chevy for one simple reason. American brand sedans are rapidly becoming extinct. So driving one now while they're at their most reliable point (new) and before they disappear altogether seems far more interesting than driving an ordinary Camry that's going to be still be built for several years. Think about it, 25 yrs from now, if someone asks for your driving impressions on a long extinct car, they'll be far more impressed that you could describe driving that than one of the biggest selling/most common (yawn) transportation appliances on the planet. Food for thought.

datechboss101

I drive probably 30k-40k miles a year. I would have taken our old 1999 Honda Accord had it not been going back to back to the shop almost every week for suspension work and some other work, and stirring up new repairs in the process. I did have a clean record for 2 years (driving all by myself of course) until the Rogue decided to go haywire on me. If I did get something old, it would probably again end up in the shop frequently, which would be a huge inconvenience for me as I do drive every day, averaging roughly 1000 miles per week. However, I did look at CPO vehicles and realized how brutal the APR is even with a large amount used for a downpayment.

I did look at the Mazda 6, but dude was giving me quotes for $30k+ OTD which is out of my budget and there was no discounts going on. But it does drive way better than anything in the class. Honestly, I grouped Nissan and Toyota as brands that are great for Point A to Point B transportation appliances. But having 3 Nissans in the household, I needed to get a break from it, as I did find major issues IMO about each of the Nissans we owned. Plus, I have been tired of driving mommy-mobiles (Nissan Rogues) for a while, need something new. My plan was to trade the 16 in once I graduated, but that didn't go as planned, as I am car shopping in the beginning of Feburary.

And if you think my parents are being involved, that's partially true. But its only for the purchase portion of it, because as we have seen, they made the mistake of buying 3 Nissan SUVs in a row (if we take out the MDX from the equation). Before they try to interfere with my choice, I told them the only part they are getting involved is the paying part of this whole thing. And apparently, Florida has sooo many car crashes, which correlates to anyone could get into an accident, regardless of luck or not.

My current rental is a 2019 Camry, and the first thing that was noticeable for me was how god awful the 8spd automatics are from Toyota. I thought Toyota would have nailed this the first time around, considering they are #2 on the list (their luxury brand, Lexus is #1) on reliability. But, I am giving it a chance and going to test drive a brand new 2020 Camry XSE on Saturday.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:28 am
Well, my 2016 didn't last as long as I wanted it to. It got totaled on January 24th, 2020.
Oh s***. Does that mean you worked on the brakes yourself?

What happened?

datechboss101

darylzero wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:51 pm
datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:28 am
Well, my 2016 didn't last as long as I wanted it to. It got totaled on January 24th, 2020.
Oh s***. Does that mean you worked on the brakes yourself?

What happened?
Paid $700 to the dealer. That's what happened. New Rotors and Pads, the whole package, using cheapo Nissan parts of course. :gapteeth: .

With my luck with this dealer, they f***ed up multiple times before and it resulted in a big bang. Like every other stealership, they wouldn't do a refund.

datechboss101

I just created a spreadsheet and have 82 rows of information filled out. And honestly, the Camry is a laughing stock and a joke compared to the Accord in terms of specs, features, numbers, etc. I am comparing a Camry XSE w/ 2.5L inline-4 and a Accord Sport 2.0L Turbo inline-4, since Nissan gave me a negative taste of CVT. For my monies worth, Toyota is not the correct choice, because I am at $30k OTD and not getting navi and premium audio and lets not forget, memory seats and remote start, whereas with the Honda I'm around $28k and its reasonable. Now, if I had a Nissan on this list, the Camry wouldn't be on here, because Nissan does give better packages within the reasonable price.

Still going to do test drives this upcoming Saturday, but it feels like the Camry was built in freaking Mexico due to the cheap headliner that was used (soooo cheap its comparable to the Nissan Kicks) and the overall materials. And from reviews, such as Redline and Auto Guide, the Camry has harsh seats which I do agree, because from the crash, I am sufferring from back pain thats more noticeable.

Maybe I should compare the Camry to a Ford Festa or something that is equivalently cheap based on the amount of cheap plastics and cheap materials that was being used in the Camry. Doesn't even feel high quality as Nissan or Honda.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Paid $700 to the dealer. That's what happened. New Rotors and Pads, the whole package, using cheapo Nissan parts of course. :gapteeth: .

With my luck with this dealer, they f***ed up multiple times before and it resulted in a big bang. Like every other stealership, they wouldn't do a refund.
Wait, wait, wait. Are you insinuating that the dealership service department caused you to wreck yet ANOTHER car?

Keep in mind, that's a pretty strong allegation. I assume you have some sort of evidence beyond your usual rambling, tangential rants? You may want to seek professional counsel (and counseling).

Being a logical and sane person, I'm inclined to strongly suspect that you're just a really s*** driver that's narcissistic and spoiled enough to continually blame others for your shortcomings.

That's my assessment, do with it what you will. :gotme

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:05 pm
Before they try to interfere with my choice, I told them the only part they are getting involved is the paying part of this whole thing.
Never mind. I've just read the douchiest comment of 2020.

If I were your father, I'd smack you into the middle of 2021. :tisk:

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Back to the cars.. liking your rational approach of car buying :)

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Just buy one of each, if you wreck one you still have the other.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

audtatious wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:00 pm
Just buy one of each, if you wreck one you still have the other.
Excellent point. Sound logic. Tell your parents to pony up and buy both. Everyone should have a backup car... kinda like backup underwear. The way you drive, you should keep both with you at all times.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

datechboss101 wrote:

And if you think my parents are being involved, that's partially true. But its only for the purchase portion of it, because as we have seen, they made the mistake of buying 3 Nissan SUVs in a row (if we take out the MDX from the equation). Before they try to interfere with my choice, I told them the only part they are getting involved is the paying part of this whole thing. And apparently, Florida has sooo many car crashes, which correlates to anyone could get into an accident, regardless of luck or not.
This reminds me of a story.

My parents were building their first house when I was a wee Ricer. Mind you, when I was a baby Ricer, we lived in a single-wide trailer to make ends meet, so to be building a brick house on an actual foundation was a tremendous step forward in my parents' lives. But I was EXCITED you see. My parents were building a house and I would have my own room!

We grew closer and closer to the day we would move in and I was able to attend the final walkthrough and see what my room would look like! I ran into the house skipping with joy and excitement! My own room... and it could be ANY room I wanted! ANY OF THEM! They were ALL MINE because I WAS THERE FIRST!

"The room with its own bathroom inside of it! That one is mine, Dad!"

"No, son, that room belongs to your mother and I. You may pick one of these rooms."

"Dad, before you try to interfere with my choice in bedroom, I'm telling you the only part you are getting involved with is the paying part of this whole thing."

The first night we moved into our brand new house, I slept in on a pillow in the pantry.

AZhitman
Administrator

Exactly.

In fact, let me re-quote this one, just to drive home my point.
AZhitman wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:55 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Before they try to interfere with my choice, I told them the only part they are getting involved is the paying part of this whole thing.
Never mind. I've just read the douchiest comment of 2020.

If I were your father, I'd smack you into the middle of 2021. :tisk:

Return to “General Chat”