Car A/C only turns on when I turn left?!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
backmask67
Car: 2018 Rogue Sport SV

2018 Nissan Rogue Sport. 70K miles.

This just started happening on Monday. I turn my car on and turn on the A/C and it will not turn on. As I am driving and a make a left turn at an intersection, the A/C will turn on and begin to blow cold air. It does not do this if I make a right turn. It does make a bit of a rattling noise when it turns on. Is something just loose or does something need be replaced? Thank you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Is it the fan that doesn't turn on, or the compressor? If it's the compressor, the prime suspect is the connector at the compressor. Try tweaking the male pin(s) about 10~15 degrees on axis to make better contact. If it's the fan then it's likely you have bad bearings in the blower motor that are letting the squirrel cage touch the housing and stall the motor when it tries to start.

backmask67

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:22 am
Is it the fan that doesn't turn on, or the compressor? If it's the compressor, the prime suspect is the connector at the compressor. Try tweaking the male pin(s) about 10~15 degrees on axis to make better contact. If it's the fan then it's likely you have bad bearings in the blower motor that are letting the squirrel cage touch the housing and stall the motor when it tries to start.
Nothing turns on initially. No fan, nothing. I don't hear anything. But when I make a left turn while driving, everything will kick on.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Does "nothing" mean no lights on the HVAC display, or is it lit normally but there's no response from the system? If the HVAC is working but the blower is open circuit, then the compressor won't turn on because the feedback signal from the blower will tell the HVAC that the fan isn't running. If the HVAC isn't lit, then the possibilities are different depending if your system is Manual or Auto. Does it have an "Auto" button?

backmask67

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:46 am
Does "nothing" mean no lights on the HVAC display, or is it lit normally but there's no response from the system? If the HVAC is working but the blower is open circuit, then the compressor won't turn on because the feedback signal from the blower will tell the HVAC that the fan isn't running. If the HVAC isn't lit, then the possibilities are different depending if your system is Manual or Auto. Does it have an "Auto" button?
The lights turn on i.e the A/C light, the strength of the air flow etc. Just no fan or cool air coming out unless I make a sharp left turn lol. A few days ago, a sharp left turn would make the fan and cool air come out at the strength indicated on the display. Now when I make the sharp left turn, it will turn on very faintly even though I have it set to full blast. Yes, the system has an "auto" button that I can turn on or off. Sorry if this is confusing and I am not explaining it correctly. I have never had this sort of issue with a car before.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like a bad blower, either a bearing or the brushes are shot. Either way it means a new blower, none of that stuff is serviceable.

backmask67

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:50 am
Sounds like a bad blower, either a bearing or the brushes are shot. Either way it means a new blower, none of that stuff is serviceable.
Thank you. You were right. It was a bad blower. I got it replaced :)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”